Blades In The Dark

Yora

Legend
So, about consequences:

Does Lost Opportunity simply mean "nothing happens"? That seems a bit odd, as it would be a rare case of not failing forward.

Similarly, does Worse Position mean "try again, but with greater stakes for failure"?

grankless

Adventurer
These are from Beam Saber, a mech/war Forged in the Dark game, but I presume they are the same as in Blades (I'm surprised they're not described in more detail there)
Reduced Effect represents the pilot’s execution being hindered. This
consequence reduces the expected Effect by one grade.

Lost Opportunity represents the situation changing as a result of the conflict.
There was a chance to reach the objective with the chosen action, but that
window has closed. If the pilot wants to try again, they must put themself in a
worse Position or use a different action.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
So, about consequences:

Does Lost Opportunity simply mean "nothing happens"? That seems a bit odd, as it would be a rare case of not failing forward.

Similarly, does Worse Position mean "try again, but with greater stakes for failure"?
No, the maxim in Blades is that the situation has to change, preferably irrevocably (although there's room here). Something HAS to happen that makes things different now. So, worse position means that things have gotten dicier -- more dangerous. If you're in a fight with some guys, more guys have shown up -- your position is worse. Lost opportunity means exactly that -- you were trying to do this thing, but now you cannot and have to do something else because the opportunity to do it has changed.

niklinna

satisfied?
Lost opportunity means exactly that -- you were trying to do this thing, but now you cannot and have to do something else because the opportunity to do it has changed.
Looks like spitting distance from a whiff, but you do get to try for the same outcome by using a different action (or by changing the circumstances).

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Looks like spitting distance from a whiff, but you do get to try for the same outcome by using a different action (or by changing the circumstances).
No. That opportunity is gone. You have to do a different thing. It's not "you missed this chance, now you can take another." The opportunity is gone. There are no more chances at it.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The best way to think about effect at various levels is probably using damage as an analogue. Standard effect is like normal damage for the weapon (say two or three, or whatever). Limited effect means a weak strike so maybe 1 damage, while great effect is something like double damage (depending on he weapon and the fictional framing). Great effect could also be armor bypassing. Anyway, I found that a useful way to consider things when I was learning.

Remove ads