• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blasts and Line of Effect Question

elbkhm

First Post
So, on page 281 of the PHB, there's a diagram showing a burst 2 attack, the squares it effects, some monsters, and indicates whether or not they have cover. It also shows how some walls block bursts. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why the square in the 1st row, 2nd column (one square NE of the elf with the sword and the axe) isn't affected by the burst.

If we're counting squares from the origin, we can count along diagonals, so going N, then NW from the origin should reach it. So, that's not why.

According to the description of Bursts on page 272 "A burst affects a target only if there is line of effect from the burst's origin square to the target", but if we choose the NE corner of the origin square, it should be able to reach the NE corner of the square under discussion without being blocked, and line effect is only blocked if ALL lines are blocked.

So, am I missing something, or is the diagram wrong?

Ziana

First Post
I believe it works like this:

When counting range, you start first in all adjacent squares of the origin, including diagonals whether or not they go around a wall (eg the square immediately southwest of the origin point in the diagram) - see p273. For all other squares, you count following the corner rule: go up and around, rather than diagonal: "count around solid objects that fill their squares" -p273 again, and see 283, moving around corners diagram, and diagonal movement.

If you called that square partial cover however, I doubt anyone would call you on it.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
I'm looking at that diagram right now, and I can't imagine how the burst could possibly hit the elf. You can't draw a straight line from any corner of the origin square to any corner of the elf's square. Maybe you're thinking the Attacker is the origin square? The origin square is in the middle of the diagram, and I can't imagine how a burst coming from that square could hit the elf--there's a wall in the way.

Ziana quoted the exact rules on this. Squares adjacent to the origin are counted without using the "follow the corner" rule. So since the burst is adjacent to the corner, that corner is counted as 1 space away, but the burst is not adjacent to the other corner, so the distance is counted around the corner.

elbkhm

First Post
Ziana/Lucas: That makes sense (although it's certainly a bit convoluted). I guess that the Statue in the NE doesn't restrict the blast in the way a wall corner would?

Ziana

First Post
Unless they're treating the statue differently from a solid wall, then it's no wonder this is confusing. If it's the same as a wall, then either that square with the goblin shouldn't be affected, or the r1c2 square should be.

I would have to guess they're treating the statue as a partial obstruction, rather than identical to a wall filling the square.

elbkhm

First Post
James/Ziana: According to "Obstacles Filling Squares" on page 284, "When an obstacle fills a square, you can't move diagonally across the corner of that square" Examples of obstacles include large trees, pillars and walls.

The statue in question sure looks to me like it fills the square, but maybe that's not what they intended? Or maybe obstacles only block diagonal movement, but not bursts?

Remove ads