• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blatant plea for hand-holding- solo newbie at GenCon? Great idea?

Kitesh

First Post
(Mods, please move if this isn't the right forum)

I've been playing D&D for lo, some two months now, and I love the heck out of it. So far my playing has been a mix of Encounters and Living Forgotten Realms. I'm intrigued by the idea of a huge con like GenCon, but I'm worried because I don't know a single person who is going and it's sort of overwhelming to think about attending solo. I'm also excited to try out new games I don't see in my limited playing time, hit the dealer room and finally find a mini that actually looks like my character, etc. etc.

So, this is where you reply and say "dude, I went by myself three years ago and it was AWESOME, I played in tons of games and had a great time and had no problem hooking up with people to have dinner with or get a drink, just go already!" And then I will feel much better, and buy my ticket.

darjr

I crit!
I've never been either and am going this year. I intend to find other ENWorlders and follow their lead, some, hopefully without being annoying. :)

Is there a newbies group for GenCon? Should there be? Would a thread here for newbies meeting up be useful?

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I've been to GenCon alone a couple of times, but only after having been with friends several times before. I can imagine it being an oddly isolated experience, unless you plan against that.

I think it's a great idea for interested newbies (and interested veterans) to make plans, and, further, to do things like exchange mobile numbers for calls and texting for spontaneous meetups for meals and so on. It'd really add to the GenCon experience, IMO, for folks who won't otherwise have friends there.

Filcher

First Post
So, this is where you reply and say "dude, I went by myself three years ago and it was AWESOME, I played in tons of games and had a great time and had no problem hooking up with people to have dinner with or get a drink, just go already!"

Exactly this. You will have no problem finding folks (finish up a FR session then go to the Ram!) to hang out and drink with. And despite there being 30 bijillion people in attendance, somehow I end up seeing the same folks in the hall and on the street and in the bagel shop.

It is a great time. Overwhelming, enormous, but insanely cool. Being surrounded by 30 bijillion peers is a remarkable experience that I will never forget.

The Ghost

Explorer
I've solo'd GenCon before - a couple times, actually. Don't let the massive size and scale of this dungeon turn you off as it is a great experience. I have parleyed with numerous monsters, and battled many more in the various rooms. I even was able to barter with the evil Wizard of the Coast. Do be wary, though, of the Troll and his pet Toad for I lost a lot of my gold pieces to him. Just keep your wits about you and you will survive.

All kidding aside, GenCon is a great time. Most of the people there are very friendly. I've gone a couple times by myself and always had a blast.

Filcher

First Post
The cool thing about going alone is that you can set your own schedule. You don't have to wait up for Billy because he is waiting in line for the limited edition dark elf figure, or, conversely, lose your place in line because the group has reservations for dinner. You can follow your own nose and do whatever your heart desires.

Shop dice for hours? Done!

Play FR till you drop? Done!

Stumble in at 4 AM without disturbing your roomies? Done!

Sleep off the hangover? Done!

Get some coffee and start it all over again ...

There is a lot to be said for going alone.

Filcher

First Post
Isn't there an enworld thread (or isn't one created) of folks that will be attending? Based on that alone, you can have some folks to hook up with and meet.

beldar1215

Explorer
I've been to Gen Con three times and was basically by myself each time. I had a great time each time. I liked not having to be on another person's schedule. I did want I wanted, when I wanted. I was able to get into some pick-up games. There was never a time I was not busy. Get a ticket and GO!!

Beldar

Kitesh

First Post
Thanks for the encouragement- I've moved from "idly considering" to "pricing airfare", so I guess that's progress! I will happily start a thread for a newbie meetup of some sorts (in addition to the newbie game that's already in the scheduling forum) when the time comes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads