• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blind Swordsman - need help designing

basaipete

Explorer
I am working on a new character concept and I am throwing this out for all you you learned folks to help me flesh out the technical details.

My basic concept is an elf fighter who was part of a school of swordmasters. His school is attacked and wiped out and he is blinded and left for dead. He survives and decides to dedicate himself to perserving and perfecting the arts of his school. To this end he has forsaken worldly possesions and is travelling the world seeking to master himself and his skills.

Ok, enough background.

My inspiration for all of this was an excuse to have a wandering samurai type character who has taken Vow of Poverty. I want a high dex, light/no armor, swordsman. My DM and I have agreed that blindness is a fair trade for getting to keep an Elven Thinblade (Complete Warrior) while taking the Vow of Poverty.

So my question is, what feat combinations should I take and what PrC would work well? I plan on starting with Fighter and taking Blind Fighting and Sacred Vow as my starting feats. I will get Vow of Poverty at 3rd level but what Fighter feats should I be looking at? My thoughts are...

1. Blind Fighting (pretty much gotta have it), Sacred Vow
2. Weapon Finess
3. Vow of Poverty
4. Weapon Focus
6. Weapon Specialization
8+? (Greater Weapon Focus/Specialization, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Improved Critical, Imroved Initiative, Improved Feint,

From there I want to start thinking about PrC. I was thinking about Kensai from Complete Warrior but I am open to suggestions, including staying with Fighter for the feats.

Anyway, please comment and let me know what you think.

DarkMaster

First Post
Make sure to have a cleric in your party to cast remove blindness as quickly as possible (5th level) or exchange your sword to have a cleric of your religion cast as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

basaipete

Explorer
My concept was that his eyes were put out and really like the idea of the role-playing challenge of a blind character. So remove blindess is not really an option.

DarkMaster

First Post
basaipete said:
My concept was that his eyes were put out and really like the idea of the role-playing challenge of a blind character. So remove blindess is not really an option.
Then you need regeneration,

I am just joking, interesting concept don't have time to give you feedback.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
basaipete said:
My inspiration for all of this was an excuse to have a wandering samurai type character who has taken Vow of Poverty.

Watching too many Japanese series, eh? You should invest in Perform (massage). And BTW, he gambles, so no VoP. :)

Seriously, can't remember the reference, but there is a feat or class ability that gives Tremorsense, or Blindsight/Blindsense to a greater distance.

Andargor

smetzger

Explorer
Here is my 3.0 conversion of Icar from A2 Secret of the Slavers Stockade.

Icar Level 7 Fighter
CR 7, HD 7d10+14, HP 60; Init +3; Spd 20 ft, AC 17 (+7 Half Plate);
Atks +12/+10 melee (2d6+7, 19-20, +1 Greatsword), SQ: Blind (immune to gaze effects)
SV Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +8; Str 17, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 19, Cha 14;
skills: Listen +19, Intuit Direction +9, Intimidate +7, Climb +9 (-7 check penalty), Craft (Wood Carving) +2, Jump +4 (-7 check penalty), Swim +4, Diplomacy +2.5
Feats: Blind-Fight, Skill Knack(Listen), Cosmopolitan (Listen), Dodge, Iron Will, Weapon Focus(Greatsword), Blindsight 5-foot radius, Weapon Specialization (Greatsword)
Languages: Common, Goblin
Note: he has a Ring of Elemental Fire Resistance Major, Cosmpolitan can be found in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and Blindsight 5-foot radius can be found in Sword and Fist, Skill Knack is from the NBoF.

SKILL KNACK [General, Trait]
COPYRIGHT 2001, Carl Cramér
You have some special quality that enhances one of your skills
Benefit: Choose a skill, such as ride. You have a special knack with that skill. You must have some special ability, such as long limbs for climbers; long fingers for pick pockets, lightning calculator for profession (bookkeeper) or being double-jointed for escape artist. You get a +3 bonus with the skill in question.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a different skill. The bonus does stack with the bonuses provided by skill learning feats, so you can take several feats to be ultra-specialized in a skill. Anyone can use a sense motive check to get a hunch about you (PHB). If the result is at least a 10, they are able to tell which skill you have a Skill Knack for from your appearance.
Notes: Because you must be somehow extra qualified for the skill in question, your character description should make allowance for such an aptitude. This means you can only pick Skill Knack when creating your character or be the result of some extraordinary event in the characters career, such as being 'gifted' with donkey ears from a curse for a Skill Knack to the listen skill or getting bowlegged from countless hours in the saddle.
Balance: 3.88 (Purp 3.50, Pow 4.30, Port 4.00, Comp 4.00, Rule 3.60)
Comments: Remember, it can only be taken at 1st level (as a standard trait), or when something happens to the character that would accentuate the skill chosen.

Last edited:

Remove ads