• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blinding Barrage with 1 dagger?

bellasera973

First Post
Sorry if this question seems stupid.. my friends and I are quite new at playing D&D, and sometimes the rules are confusing.

Being a rogue, when using the Blinding Barrage daily, do you need more than 1 dagger in order for it to be effective as being a close-blast 3?

(The situation was, I have 1 dagger, and I went to attack 4 enemies, and afterward, we sat around talking about whether or not it's valid because I only have 1 dagger.)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
If you use normal, nonmagical daggers, you need 1 per foe.

If you use a magical dagger, one will suffice. And if you have a problem with attacking 9 foes with 1 dagger, just remember that it's magic.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Alternately, the Rogue could be tumbling between his foes in a tight circle, stabbing them each in the face once with his dagger, then returning to his starting square.

(From a balance perspective, how it happens matters less than what happens, and you're free to make up the "how" -- so long as you don't mess with the "what".)

Cheers, -- N

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Alternately, the Rogue could be tumbling between his foes in a tight circle, stabbing them each in the face once with his dagger, then returning to his starting square.

(From a balance perspective, how it happens matters less than what happens, and you're free to make up the "how" -- so long as you don't mess with the "what".)

Cheers, -- N

Yes, 15 feet across each side and 6 or so seconds time not a problem at all. The characters are heroic...

I am going to quote myself on this one the original was in regards to archers and twin shot... but i think it applies equally here

When skinning even at-wills remember a Paladin mutters and his weapon flairs with light leaking in from the astral sea. A swordmages blade bursts with green fire splashing adjacent foes... and a wizard can cut people down nicely with no wand or weapon at all free ammoless ranged attacks... if you envision archer rangers being a lot inferior to the legendary robinhood and william tell and others (japan has some serious archery legends too).. then well you can have fun with that... but umm why?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It makes no difference what you're wielding as long as it's "a crossbow, a light thrown weapon, or a sling."

The fluff text is immaterial - you are free to change the fluff text. The only thing that matters is that the power allows a character with a a crossbow, a light thrown weapon, or a sling to make a close blast 3 attack.

For example, perhaps you could imagine it as the dagger bouncing off various foes, if such Batman style antics strike your fancy. Doesn't really matter.

The important thing is that the mechanics describe the power; the fluff text is simply example fluff text, and you are encouraged to create your own fluff text.

Thanee

First Post
No, Morrus. That is not entirely correct.

Close Attack said:
If you're using a projectile weapon to make a close attack, you need one piece of ammunition for each target, and if you're using thrown weapons, you need one for each target.

Area Attack said:
If you're using a projectile weapon to make an area attack, you need one piece of ammunition for each target, and if you're using thrown weapons, you need one for each target.

This, of course, is rendered irrelevant, once you got a magic thrown weapon (but stays in place for projectile weapons).

Thrown Weapons said:
Any magic ... thrown weapon ... automatically returns to its wielder's hand after a ranged attack with the weapon is resolved. Catching a returning thrown weapon is a free action...

I suppose, "ranged attack" is not the attack type, but a generic term here, and applies to close and area attacks as well.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads