• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blinding Powder

BenjaminB

First Post
I'm looking for rules on blinding powder. I have a rogue character who carries little bags slip-knotted to his belt. He can drop on, and fling it in on motion, opening his hand slightly to let the powder spray out in his foe's face.

Are there published rules for this sort of attack anywhere? The powder itself is just a mix of salt and potash- it'll burn the hell out of your eyes, but doesn't really cost all that much (he could use sand or dirt even- the effect is basiclly the same). Obviously, he'd follow the ash in the face up with a sneak attack to the gut. He's a rogue after all.

Thanks

-Ben

Darklone

Hmm. I had some minor magical/alchemical things. They combined invisibility with a blinding flash. Ninjaaaa.

For these things... some of all these prestige classes out there had a blinding attack.... I know it... Uh...

A feat? Perhaps in Song&Silence? Akin to Hamstring and Arterial Strike?

LokiDR

First Post
This tatic exsists in one of the Quintisential books, fighter I believe. It is more of a "thow sand in their eyes" and requires a feat, IIRC.

A general item that blinds oppents is availible in Oriental Adventures: Eggshell grenade. General Rules:
*Ranged Touch to hit, range increment 5'
*If char falls, each must make a Fort save: 10+damage
*DC to create: Alchemy-20 for pepper/dust

Dust: hit blinds for 1d4 rounds, splash must Fort DC 10 or blind for 1 round. Cost: 10gp

What you should really do is create a new alchemical item and put the rules there. I would say 10' increment touch, -4 attack (must hit eyes, exotic profiency negates this penalty) blinds for 1d4+1 rounds. Or use the eggshell grenade.

BenjaminB

First Post
But its just a little bag filled with dirt or sand or ash... hardly the thing you need special training to use. You sweep you hand at your enemy's face, poof, he either gets an eye full of it, or he doesn't. This kind of thing would require an attack (a touch attack I'd say) and then some kind of saving throw... don't know what the save DC should be. Perhaps based on the attack roll, with the length of the blindnig baing based on the substance? Like 1d3 rounds for sand, 1d6 for ash, 1d8 for salt, 1d10+ for actual alchemical blinding agent...

I'd hate to houserule this sort of thing... it seems sort of obvious, and I'm surprised it hasen't been written up somewhere.

-B

LokiDR

First Post
BenjaminB said:
But its just a little bag filled with dirt or sand or ash... hardly the thing you need special training to use. You sweep you hand at your enemy's face, poof, he either gets an eye full of it, or he doesn't. This kind of thing would require an attack (a touch attack I'd say) and then some kind of saving throw... don't know what the save DC should be. Perhaps based on the attack roll, with the length of the blindnig baing based on the substance? Like 1d3 rounds for sand, 1d6 for ash, 1d8 for salt, 1d10+ for actual alchemical blinding agent...

I'd hate to houserule this sort of thing... it seems sort of obvious, and I'm surprised it hasen't been written up somewhere.

-B

The closest offical item/rule is the eggshell grenade.

You must throw the item at least a small amount or else you must be grappling. I said the -4 or exotic proficency because a person's eyes (where you need to get the material) is much smaller than their entire body.

From a balance point of view, this can not be the easiest tatic else everyone will use it. More than 1d4 rounds for most any item is too much. Alchemical substances could increase that, but not beyond a minute or two, and that should be balanced on price.

Darklone

No idea where from:
First: Bluff check, otherwise he'll notice and simply close his eyes.
Second: Ranged touch attack to hit (with sand), this is negated by a Reflex save against DC 10+dex mod.
The whole thing is a standard action, e.g. no additional attacks.

It's not exactly what I read IMHO... but I didn't find the book.

LokiDR

First Post
Maitre Du Donjon said:
Don't have the book with me but isnt there such an item in the FRCS book, or maybe is it Lords of Darkness?

Maitre D

No such item exists in either book. The closest is the flashpellet, originally from Tome and Blood, which dazzels oppents who don't make a save.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads