• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blindsight, Blindness and Silence

Nathan

First Post
Next session our gaming group will probably have to deal with a black dragon (of large size).

I have two simple questions:

1) Can the spell blindness/deafness negate a dragon's blindsight ability?

2) Is silence together with invisibility enough to foil the dragon's vision?

Nathan

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Nathan said:
Next session our gaming group will probably have to deal with a black dragon (of large size).

I have two simple questions:

1) Can the spell blindness/deafness negate a dragon's blindsight ability?

2) Is silence together with invisibility enough to foil the dragon's vision?

Nathan
Aggemam is correct on both counts.

Blindness obviously does not negate blindsight, and deafness would only work if the dragon's blindsight depended solely on hearing, which it does not, according to the MM. Also, remember that dragons have been errata'd to have the Scent ability at 30 feet per age category.

Anders

First Post
Well..

According to Dragon Magazine 296 (I believe it was) a dragon's blindsight can be fooled by silence. It is still capable of 4xLow Light Vision, Darkvision, and Scent, though.

If somehow blinded (negating low-light vision and darkvision), or fooled by a by a creature that is invisible and scentless (perhaps through pass without trace or Gwaeron's boots from MiF) using a personal silence spell, the dragon is actually as blind as anything else.

It still has the potential to guess and strike with 50% miss chance at such a foe.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Re: Well..

Anders said:
According to Dragon Magazine 296 (I believe it was) a dragon's blindsight can be fooled by silence. It is still capable of 4xLow Light Vision, Darkvision, and Scent, though.

Then the people who wrote the article is not sufficiently familiar with the rules to do so. The MM clearly states that the blindsight ability of a dragon does not depend on hearing, so they made an error (again).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads