• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blindsight

Wish

First Post
The Combat Focus feat chain from PHB2. For a total cost of 4 feats, you'll get blindsight 5' radius (and a bunch of other neat abilities). Cost for stats is only 13 Wisdom.

Bagpuss

Legend
In the old days I would have said Polymorph into a dragon, but a Dragon's Blindsight is and Extraordinary ability.

So now I have to say polymorph into a Porpoise*. :D

*Okay this would be funny but unfortunately even that doesn't work because a Porpoise has Blindsight through an extraordinary ability too, someone want to tell a Porpoise he may be breaking the laws of physics? Why natural creatures don't get their senses via natural means I don't know, seems a little stupid.

Shin Ji

First Post
Bagpuss said:
In the old days I would have said Polymorph into a dragon, but a Dragon's Blindsight is and Extraordinary ability.

So now I have to say polymorph into a Porpoise*. :D

*Okay this would be funny but unfortunately even that doesn't work because a Porpoise has Blindsight through an extraordinary ability too, someone want to tell a Porpoise he may be breaking the laws of physics? Why natural creatures don't get their senses via natural means I don't know, seems a little stupid.

I think you're confusing Ex abilities with Su abilities. Ex abilities are the ones that work in an antimagic field and whatnot, so they are natural. Su abilities are the ones that break the laws of physics, so to speak.

Then again, isn't a Troll's regeneration an Ex ability? That's breaks all kinds of rules about conservation of matter.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Bagpuss said:

Not to mention that dragons get blindsense, rather than blind sight. They know that something is there so that they can target the right square, but the target still gets full 50% concealment benefit.

For real weirdness, how about bats? The poor little D&D beggars only get blindsense too, so they must take real risks every time they try to fly out of their caves! C'mon, bats are the poster children for blindsight!

Patlin

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:
For real weirdness, how about bats? The poor little D&D beggars only get blindsense too, so they must take real risks every time they try to fly out of their caves! C'mon, bats are the poster children for blindsight!

That's too true! Even knowing that, I always seem to expect more of my bat familliar. It just makes no sense!

Bagpuss

Legend
Shin Ji said:
I think you're confusing Ex abilities with Su abilities.

Nope

Ex abilities are the ones that work in an antimagic field and whatnot, so they are natural.

They aren't natural or else they would be natural abilities, and you'd get them when you polymorphed into the creature, but as it is now you don't. Of course I think in some cases they are indeed natural but for every creature in D&D blindsight and blindsense are extraordinary so aren't natural.

natural in bold I am using the word as a defined game term, natural none bold I am using the word as to mean a something occurring in nature that follows the known laws of physics.

Su abilities are the ones that break the laws of physics, so to speak.

And so do many extraordinary ones (it says so in the SRD definition).

Then again, isn't a Troll's regeneration an Ex ability? That's breaks all kinds of rules about conservation of matter.

Exactly.

The problem in some cases bats, porpoises, etc. Blindsight and blindsense should be natural, but in the rules they are always extraordinary.

Remove ads