Blog or Newsletter?

Reynard

Legend
This summer I am going to ramp up.some indie design and publishing, and I want to do some outreach to help build an audience with whom I can converse. For years I kept up an intermittent blog about all the geeky things I found fun or thought provoking, but it has been dead for a couple years.

In starting to try and cultivate a fresh audience and potential customers, should I go back to blogging, or should I do the Newsletter thing? I am subscribed to a few and I like the format, but I have never done one.

I'm especially interested from folks who do either or both, but also from folks who read either or both as a way to stay connected to creators they like.

Thanks.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I'm the reverse, preferring weekly-ish to monthly-ish newsletters. I almost never visit a blog unless there's something specific mentioned in a newsletter that catches my eye. So....
Have you considered doing the blog AND sending out a newsletter with a brief recap of whatever you did on the blog? It's a little extra work, but that way you get both audiences.

Reynard

Legend
I'm the reverse, preferring weekly-ish to monthly-ish newsletters. I almost never visit a blog unless there's something specific mentioned in a newsletter that catches my eye. So....
Have you considered doing the blog AND sending out a newsletter with a brief recap of whatever you did on the blog? It's a little extra work, but that way you get both audiences.
That is probably smartest.

Thinking about my own consumption habits, it's a bit tricky - I do read blog articles and often enjoy them (mostly in the OSR sphere), but this is only when they are posted or recommended by someone I follow on social media (mostly Twitter and a bit of Bluesky); newsletters on the other hand I will read more regularly, but it really takes a while until I subscribe (e.g. in terms of roleplaying things, the only non-publisher newsletter I'm subscribed to is Questing Beast's Glatisant).
Potentially you could use substack and do both. But I don't have any personal experience with it. And if I ever get back to writing something on the web, I'd probably just try my hand at blogging.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I only use Discord for game comms and such. What do creators tend to use them for?
I joined up one for a Fantasy Football advice product. I didnt plan to go to the discord at all, but then saw the creator posts there regularly. Updated news, community notes, etc.. Its a good way to engage with your customers, followers, etc...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A lot of blog platforms will do that for you automatically.

Remove ads