Blood and Space: Adventures in Deep Space

Vigilance

Explorer
A full-on mass combat system this game does not have. I am considering that for a future book.

However, one of the types of crew you can give a ship is marines, and marines can do things in combat like hit and run raids and boarding actions.

I am a long time SFB player myself, so I couldnt leave that option out of the game.

But wait there's more!

You can equip a ship with all sorts of crew, and each expands the options your ship has. Science crew can make your ship less vulnerable to comupter viruses and help you combat giant planet eating aliens. Fighter crews can patrol to keep your ship from being surprised, or conduct strafing raids on enemy ships. Helm crew can give bonuses to piloting checks and the ability to counteract the penalties of huge capital ships. Damage control crews are able to repair damaged systems in combat. I could go on (really I could), but I think you get the idea :)

In short, Blood and Space gives you options, not only in equipment, but in personnel.

digitaldark

First Post
Vigilance said:
GOO= Guardians of Order
Multiple products in the same genre make the game better, not worse, in my opinion, since you have multiple sources to borrow from.

I agree wholeheartedly....mainly because one product will NEVER satisfy all the gamers interested in it....but the beauty of having more than one product of the same type for the same system, you can use them to fill in the each other's "gaps"...basically you take part of this book and part of that book, and you suddenly have the end result you want (because the two books are the same system they mesh with very little work)..

the biggest benefit of d20 and OGC?? IMHO....OPTIONS

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
digitaldark said:

the biggest benefit of d20 and OGC?? IMHO....OPTIONS
I agree. In my experience, no matter if several groups are playing with the exact same rulebook(s), you will encounter subtle if not blatant difference(s) in the style of gameplay ... unless it's a tournament (I'm not a fan of tournament games, even though the benefit is to belong to a large network of gamers in a mass-organized campaign like Living Greyhawk).

Some fundamental gamers prefers that there should be a central authority to decide if the game fits in the network of d20 products. I don't like the idea. It's better to let the game designers themselves decide what work best for their game they're publishing and hope the consumers will like it, even give them feedback to improve their products down the line.

Vigilance

Explorer
I think there is a certain line a game designer shouldn't cross. I think if you call a game a "d20 game" it should have certain concepts familiar to players and game masters.

That said, I do not think there should be one authority, one "official" rules set beyond the basics laid down in the SRD. I think game designers, and game masters, should be free to innovate.

Remove ads