• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blood and Vigilance Q's

kroh

First Post
sdc-marine2.jpg

OK...So I have been running through my shiny cool copy of Blood and Vigilance and I had a question about Gadgeteers. Would building a gadgeteer (Batman, Iron Man, Deflater Mouse, heh) in B&V work by giving some one the Advanced Training origin and then buying the gear or should it be done another way.

Thanks in advance..
Regards,
Walt

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
The Gadgeteer concept ... never QUITE worked for me with B&V.

The way, I think, Chuck suggests to do it is through Blood and Circuits, which has suggestions for turning invention points (from that book) into gadgets to be purchased with points from B&V.

The way I did it was, honestly, letting a character take Advanced Training and Smart and Field Scientist levels and Blood and Circuits for inventing things, totally ignoring the point system.

--fje

kingpaul

First Post
In Blood and Circuits, there's rules on spending your power points for craft points on a 1:30 ratio. There's Unique Armor power, Unique Weapon, etc. In Blood and Circuits: Cybernetics, they redid the cyborg background and you can convert power points to for craft points on a 1:25 ratio for cybernetic development. There is no PL limit or cost on craft points spent from power points.

kroh

First Post
Cool...Thanks HT...I will have to look at that one next. Does doing it that way allow you to build groovy cool characters that allow for being slick gadgeteers such as the aforementioned group ( you'll have to forgive me I was looking for a way to use the word aforementioned today ).

Regards,
Walt

Vigilance

Explorer
HeapThaumaturgist said:
The Gadgeteer concept ... never QUITE worked for me with B&V.

The way, I think, Chuck suggests to do it is through Blood and Circuits, which has suggestions for turning invention points (from that book) into gadgets to be purchased with points from B&V.

The way I did it was, honestly, letting a character take Advanced Training and Smart and Field Scientist levels and Blood and Circuits for inventing things, totally ignoring the point system.

--fje

Im confused. Are you saying you just handwaved the invention process, or did you use the DC variant in B&C to reduce the invention to a single skill check, or something else altogether.

Just wondering what you didn't think worked and how you fixed it :)

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
kroh said:
sdc-marine2.jpg

OK...So I have been running through my shiny cool copy of Blood and Vigilance and I had a question about Gadgeteers. Would building a gadgeteer (Batman, Iron Man, Deflater Mouse, heh) in B&V work by giving some one the Advanced Training origin and then buying the gear or should it be done another way.

Thanks in advance..
Regards,
Walt

Yes that works, but if you wanted more detail, like building a lot of custom-made stuff, I think Blood and Circuits would be a better fit.

Chuck

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Vigilance said:
Im confused. Are you saying you just handwaved the invention process, or did you use the DC variant in B&C to reduce the invention to a single skill check, or something else altogether.

Just wondering what you didn't think worked and how you fixed it :)

Chuck

Chuck,

It's honestly been a while, so I don't quite remember WHY I changed what I changed, but I'll try to further explain.

At the back of Blood and Circuits you had some data about "buying" Invention Points worth of gadgets using the Blood and Vigilance points. If I remember correctly, originally, this granted so few points that at 3rd level a "gadgeteer" character would have enough to invent something along the lines of a Desert Eagle ... I.E., nothing very big or wild.

So what I did was ignore taking a point-granting background in B&V for the gadgeteer, and instead took Advanced Training (the extra skills'n'feats origin) and built the character THAT way, just going nuts with Smart levels and skills.

Then I used the regular Blood and Circuits invention point system for the "gadgets", letting the character roll and buy raw materials as normal.

The character was sort of a Doc Savage PC, though, instead of Iron Man. Where Iron Man invented one big thing that was his method for super-heroing, Doc Savage's heroic ability was in his plot-ruining ability to just be That Much Smarter Than Everybody Else. I.E. more about the inventING than the inventION.

--fje

Vigilance

Explorer
Ahhhh... I see said the Blind Man.

Yeah the power points to invention points ratio is just wrong. I think it should be more like 1 PP for 30 invention points, which is what I suggest in the cybernetics add-on for B&C I did recently.

I need to send an email to the boss to change that in the core B&C book as well.

HeapThaumaturgist said:
Chuck,

It's honestly been a while, so I don't quite remember WHY I changed what I changed, but I'll try to further explain.

At the back of Blood and Circuits you had some data about "buying" Invention Points worth of gadgets using the Blood and Vigilance points. If I remember correctly, originally, this granted so few points that at 3rd level a "gadgeteer" character would have enough to invent something along the lines of a Desert Eagle ... I.E., nothing very big or wild.

So what I did was ignore taking a point-granting background in B&V for the gadgeteer, and instead took Advanced Training (the extra skills'n'feats origin) and built the character THAT way, just going nuts with Smart levels and skills.

Then I used the regular Blood and Circuits invention point system for the "gadgets", letting the character roll and buy raw materials as normal.

The character was sort of a Doc Savage PC, though, instead of Iron Man. Where Iron Man invented one big thing that was his method for super-heroing, Doc Savage's heroic ability was in his plot-ruining ability to just be That Much Smarter Than Everybody Else. I.E. more about the inventING than the inventION.

--fje

kroh

First Post
Another question for you guys. Was anything ever considered for B&V to have power advantages? WE have the limitations but what about amping a power up instead of taking it down. I know the power stunts make the power easier to use but what about specialized abilities added in such as armor piercing added to the blast. Would that be considered just another pwer stunt or would that be somethign different?

Thanks All,
Regards,
Walt

Remove ads