• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blood Mage confusion

Shadeus

First Post
This is an unusually written Paragon Path and I was unsure of a couple of different things.

1. Can you use the Dark Fury feat (bonus to psychic damage) with the Bolstering Blood ability? It does psychic damage, so I don't see why not, but it opens the door for every spell having the ability to be boosted by that feat.

2. A similar question regarding the psychic lock feat.

Burning Blood (16th level): When you use your second wind, enemies within 10 squares of you take psychic damage equal to your Constitution modifier. If those enemies are currently suffering from an effect that you caused, add your Intelligence modifier. They also take ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).

Blood Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, if you use your action to make an attack that hits, that attack deals ongoing 10 damage (save ends).

3. With the burning blood ability, would the following work:

a. cast color spray at your enemies to daze all enemies in a 5 x 5 area.
b. use an action point to use second wind. That should trigger burning blood which will do Con + Int dmg to everyone you just color sprayed, plus another 5 on-going fire damage. Do they also get the bonus Dark Fury psychic damage?

And one last question: when you use the second wind as above, do you get the blood action bonus 10 untyped ongoing damage as well? I was thinking not because you don't need to make an attack roll.

Thanks!

HenryBlatbugIII

First Post
1. No. Bolstering Blood only adds bonus damage, but does not add the psychic keyword to the spell. Therefore, Dark Fury doesn't apply. (...whenever you use a power that has the necrotic or psychic keyword)

2. No. Same reason as (1).

3. It works as you described, but again, Dark Fury doesn't apply. You're using an ability that deals psychic damage, but it is not a power and doesn't have the psychic keyword.

4. Correct. You have to actually make an attack roll and hit in order for Blood Action to apply.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I think Henry's got it right. With #4, I agree that Blood Action doesn't apply, because you're using the AP to second wind, and second wind is not an attack, despite the fact that it does damage if you have Burning Blood.

Shadeus

First Post
Hmm, it doesn't mention adding the psychic keyword. So it does psychic damage, but doesn't qualify as being a psychic keyword power. That makes a little sense if you look at a flaming or frost weapon.

That puts a damper on my future wizard levels, but I'll survive. :)

Thanks!

Remove ads