• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blood & Space 2: High Flyers & Ground Pounders

Masada

First Post
I picked up Blood & Space 2 from RPGO the other day and I've spent the last couple of days studying it.

Basic Stats:
Pages: 30
Bookmarks: Yes
Art: Yes (B&W)
Layout: Excellent (Print and Screen formats)
Format: PDF

30 pages is smaller than your typical RPGO product, but this PDF still delivers great content. Blood & Space combines with d20 Future and d20 Modern to deliver new Advanced Classes, new uses for Skills and new Feats. In addition it provides some of the most concise and usable rules for large scale combat rules that I've seen in a d20 systems. You can see a heavy influence from Blood & Guts, RPGO's modern military sourcebook.

B&S creates a starship/military focused campaign setting. The new classes are Operations Expert, Starship Gunner, Starship Navigator and Starship Marine. Each class offers enhancements to the performance of a starship. This makes for great settings based on Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica or the like. While reading I constantly visuallized a space pirate campaign where my players could each take a part of the ship--rapidly becoming the most feared pirates in the galaxy as the battled the Empire armadas... Oh yeah, the review!

RPGO typically shies away from creating new skills in favor of giving new uses to old skills. My favorite was the great detailed expansion of Craft (Structural) where RPGO included craft DC's and contruction times for well over 20 common military structures from foxholes to runways. Other skills expanded are Pilot, Comp Use, Navigate, Spot, Survival and Knowledge (Tactics).

They have no qualms about new feats! There are over 20 new feats that improve the starship flyboys and their helpful little brothers the Marines. Bonuses based on group tactics is the central theme and well done. For example, "Teamwork" which provides a +2 bonus to attacks and skills while working with another character with the same Teamwork feat.

Military rank and advancement are addressed in a game friendly format. Individual ranks are listed with corresponding "requisition" bonuses.

D20 Future starship combat is enhanced by more detailed Crew quality rules. These quality ratings transfer directly to ship performance AND boarding party quality. This is where RPGO introduces their short and simple unit combat rules. True miniature tactical combat junkies won't be satisfied, but the average GM just trying to toss in a battle or two will be very grateful!

The PDF wraps up with a wide variety of space hazards to use in ship to ship combat. Examples include gravity wells, blackholes, super novas and, of course, asteroid fields. *grin*

Overall, it's a great piece of work packed into a small package. Definitely two-thumbs up. Thanks RPGO!

RPGO plans to continue expanding Blood & Space. So this edition will be even more useful when combined with future releases.

Masada

First Post
Well I had not created an account on the d20 review site. So you motivated me. But then I noticed that this version of Blood & Space isn't listed in their product database.

PosterBoy

First Post
Masada said:
Well I had not created an account on the d20 review site. So you motivated me. But then I noticed that this version of Blood & Space isn't listed in their product database.

I added it now. So it should be there eventually.

Turanil

First Post
I already own Blood & Space 1 (the book), and while I found it somewhat disappointing, I am nonetheless willing to buy the new one. I just find that 30 pages at 5$ for a screen size pdf is a little expensive.

In fact I will wait. I hope that many of the things already present in the first book will be improved and adapted to d20 Future*, get a nice layout, get new material as it seem to be the case with this pdf, get some illustrations, and be printed. What would be cool, would also to expand the setting (forgot its name) and include it in the book. Overall, there would be there a great potential success, and immediate purchase as far as I am concerned. So I am looking forward to see that happen...

(*: all the various classes appearing in B&S1 and the setting, could be turned into the typical format of modern AdC, and make different types of those AdC already present in d20 modern)

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
Here is some quick conversions I was thinking about...

HAULER
Advanced class for d20 Modern / d20 Future

Hit Die: d6.
Skill points: 9 + Int modifier per level.

1st lvl. - bab +0 - ST +0/ +1/ +1 - Market, Ear to ground - Def +1 - Rep +1
2nd lvl. - bab +1 - ST +0/ +2/ +2 - Junkyard dog +2, Junk dragger +10% - Def +2 - Rep +1
3rd lvl. - bab +1 - ST +1/ +2/ +2 - bonus feat - Def +2 - Rep +1
4th lvl. - bab +2 - ST +1/ +2/ +2 - New market, Money talks - Def +3 - Rep +2
5th lvl. - bab +2 - ST +1/ +3/ +3 - Junkyard dog +4, Junk dragger +20% - Def +3 - Rep +3
6th lvl. - bab +3 - ST +2/ +3/ +3 - bonus feat - Def +3 - Rep +2
7th lvl. - bab +3 - ST +2/ +4/ +4 - New market, Distribution network - Def +4 - Rep +3
8th lvl. - bab +4 - ST +2/ +4/ +4 - Junkyard dog +6, Junk dragger +30% - Def +4 - Rep +3
9th lvl. - bab +4 - ST +3/ +4/ +4 - bonus feat - Def +5 - Rep +3
10th lvl. - bab +5 - ST +3/ +5/ +5 - Market leverage - Def +5 - Rep +4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMUGGLER
Advanced class for d20 Modern / d20 Future

Hit Die: d6.
Skill points: 7 + Int modifier per level.

1st lvl. - bab +0 - ST +0/ +2/ +0 - Concealed cargo DC=15 - Def +1 - Rep +1
2nd lvl. - bab +1 - ST +0/ +3/ +0 - Black market - Def +2 - Rep +1
3rd lvl. - bab +2 - ST +1/ +3/ +1 - bonus feat - Def +2 - Rep +1
4th lvl. - bab +3 - ST +1/ +4/ +1 - Concealed cargo DC=20 - Def +3 - Rep +2
5th lvl. - bab +3 - ST +1/ +4/ +1 - Sensor evasion - Def +3 - Rep +2
6th lvl. - bab +4 - ST +2/ +5/ +2 - bonus feat - Def +3 - Rep +2
7th lvl. - bab +5 - ST +2/ +5/ +2 - Concealed cargo DC=25 - Def +4 - Rep +3
8th lvl. - bab +6 - ST +2/ +6/ +2 - Blockade runner - Def +4 - Rep +3
9th lvl. - bab +6 - ST +3/ +6/ +3 - bonus feat - Def +5 - Rep +3
10th lvl. - bab +7 - ST +3/ +7/ +3 - Concealed cargo DC=30 - Def +5 - Rep +4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just my 2 cents of course...

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
Turanil said:
In fact I will wait. I hope that many of the things already present in the first book will be improved and adapted to d20 Future*, get a nice layout, get new material as it seem to be the case with this pdf, get some illustrations, and be printed. What would be cool, would also to expand the setting (forgot its name) and include it in the book. Overall, there would be there a great potential success, and immediate purchase as far as I am concerned. So I am looking forward to see that happen...

It's like you read my mind :)

I am working on an expanded version of my Prometheus setting even as we speak, and once I do the other two Blood and Space II PDFs I have planned there are discussions about combining them for a print run.

I plan on doing conversions for all the Blood and Space classes that still feel "relevant" to me, including the ones you mention (smuggler and hauler). A lot of the Blood and Space character concepts seem adequately covered by d20 Modern or d20 Future classes. That said... I might convert some of the ones that are covered (such as the Hotshot) to provide some alternate classes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
Masada said:
I picked up Blood & Space 2 from RPGO the other day and I've spent the last couple of days studying it.

First thanks for the review :)

You can see a heavy influence from Blood & Guts, RPGO's modern military sourcebook.

Actually something I had never noticed before, but which struck me as I was working on this book was how much B&G borrowed from Blood and Space.

B&S creates a starship/military focused campaign setting.

That was definitely the idea behind this book... in fact we went round and round trying to decide if it should be called Blood and Guts: Future Guts or Blood and Space: High Flyers and Ground Pounders.

As to the size of the books, I really wanted to make the PDFs a little shorter, more focused, more targeted, for people who wanted to run a certain type of game. So this one would be for the Starship Troopers/Aliens/Star Trek/Battlestar crowd. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention one of my all time favorite shows, ripped from me all too soon: Space Above and Beyond.

Glad you liked it and thanks for the feedback :)

Chuck

Masada

First Post
There are a lot of feats that alter the way characters interact with starships, but there are no new construction rules or new ship types. There are some combot modifiers like the "terrain" features I mentioned. The new classes give some bonus abilities to targeting, damage control and tactical speed. I've heard the guys from RPGO talking about another edition of Blood & Space that will focus more on ships. I believe this info is on their website as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads