• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bloodied and why it is cool.

S

Sunseeker

There's a lot of discussion regarding HP and the HP system, but for the most part many of the proposals cater to a "gritty" system, and are often punishing to the player. The problem is with these systems that players respond better to the carrot than the stick. That's why Bloodied was so awesome.

Some people aren't familiar with 4e's Bloodied system, for those that are, skip this explanation. In short, when a character fell below 1/2 their hit-points they became "bloodied". While in a bloodied state, they often lost something, -1 to AC was common, Deva's lost resistance to something. Bloodied was different for every race, and while the character lost something, they almost always gained something as well. +1 to hit, -1AC, they were in a violent rage and that made them hit more often, hit harder, but at the expense of their defense. Some classes had abilities that played off of these, almost every race had at least one racial feat that worked to make Bloodied a more interesting state.

In short: Being Bloodied didn't mean the players were going to die, in fact it added new mechanical, fluff and RP elements to play. Some players enjoyed being bloodied and liked to play it up as part of their character. Some players tried to not be Bloodied as much as possible.

Bloodied namely wasn't a death spiral.

After reading through many posts, I came up with an idea. What if we had more states like Bloodied? Not too many mind you, perhaps one at 3/4ths, 1/2, 1/4 and maybe 1HP. Each one would vary depending on race and ideally class as well, but they would all represent different "states" of damage without only seeking to punish a character for taking damage. EX:

Bloodied would occur at 3/4ths HP, it would be like normal bloodied, small bonus, small penalty.
Wounded would occur at one half, slightly larger penalty, slightly larger bonus.
Crippled could occur at 1/4, at this point the penalties would outweigh the bonuses, but not so far as to make it a death spiral. Perhaps +3 damage, -4 AC
At 1 HP a player could then enter the "near death" state, at which point we'd get a whole new set of modifiers. They might get a +5 to hit and +8 to damage but take a -5 to AC and be slowed to a speed of 10ft.

At the same time, at each bloodied level, the conditions would open up a player to new vulnerabilities. A Crippled Dragonborn Barbarian could be considered to be in a "suggestive" state, allowing mind-affecting powers that previously did not affect him to affect him. Players and NPCs would gain a variety of options that could only be used on players/NPCs that were in one of the above states.

EX: say a warlock gains "dominate mind" at level 1. But at level 1 the spell can only affect targets that are of a "weak mind", say, int lower than 6 or those who gain the "weak mind" state through HP loss. As the warlock levels, the spell would be able to affect a greater Int number, and a a higher damage level. Perhaps by 15th level, "dominate mind" could affect even a full-health, 20 Int character/NPC.

OR: a fighter gains "Execute" at level 1. Similar to above, at lower levels they could only use it on targets with a very low amount of HP or with a specific level of "bloodied" condition. As they level, they would be able to improve it, through feats, through just leveling, ect...

Along this lines, this allows a player to pick up relatively powerful, fun, and useful abilities/spells/powers at low levels and enjoy them throughout the game. No need to replace the ability with an entirely new one, just a better version. New powers would be gained along the same lines, the more you level and improve the power, the more powerful it becomes. Since both NPCs and players would have access to these types of spells and be covered by the "bloodied" conditionals, both sides would get equal access and coverage.

I differentiate these from "Wound States" because they operate differently. Wound states punish, that's all they do, they can also be targeted by certain powers. These states could not be, you or an enemy may have a power that allows you to consider someone bloodied, consider yourself bloodied, but they couldn't actually MAKE you bloodied without actual HP loss. That was my biggest gripe about Star Wars Saga and a few others with Wound Systems, it was easier to use special abilities that gave you wounds rather than actually fight. That's all fine when kept to a MINIMUM, one or two particularly powerful spells, but when it's on a regular basis it's just too powerful.

Thoughts?

Generally, the more 'game states' you can be in, the more complicated it is to play.

I like the concept of bloodied as a game mechanic, but the name doesn't fit the narrative of how combat plays out. So I'd prefer something like, "You have HP, and as long as you have any, you're fine. HP is your dodginess. If you fall below 0, you're bloodied, and you keep track of your bloodied damage. It isn't a death spiral, but when you reach 10 (or whatever) bloodied damage, you make death saves each turn or die. Bloodied damage also heals slower, so you want to stay unbloodied unless you've got a healer. And yes, some races or classes have small modifiers when you're bloodied."

Last edited:

Lordhawkins9

First Post
I liked the Bloodied condition and would like to see it fleshed out more. However, I'd prefer for see characters, in general, to get weaker as they get beat down, not stronger like you have listed.

S

Sunseeker

Generally, the more 'game states' you can be in, the more complicated it is to play.

True, but complexity by itself is not necessarily good or bad, whether a system is complex or simple, the goal is to be enjoyable. Bloodied added an enjoyable aspect to the game, it made people FEEL like their damage was actually affecting them.

I do realize of course that more states=more bookkeeping, but that's why I think 4 states(aside from actually dying) is a reasonable number. Tracking if you were bloodied or not was pretty easy. 1/2 health or less? Okay bloodied.

Perhaps deciding what happens in the bloodied state should be based on race, and when the bloodied happens should be based on class. IE:
Dragonbon get +X/-Y @ bloodied level 1, but Fighter's don't become bloodied until they've lost 30 HP, while warlocks become bloodied after losing 20 HP. That way people wouldn't have to track percentages, but only fixed values.

I liked the Bloodied condition and would like to see it fleshed out more. However, I'd prefer for see characters, in general, to get weaker as they get beat down, not stronger like you have listed.

That's the issue though, getting weaker as you take damage is a death spiral. Hitting less means your enemies live longer. Enemies that live longer hit you more. If your AC is also lower while wounded, you're now getting hit by even more attacks, fast tracking you to worse conditions where you hit even less and get hit even more.

That's why bloodied was awesome, you didn't JUST get penalized for being bloodied. I agree that there should be some penalty for being wounded, but a penalty shouldn't be the ONLY thing you get. You could achieve a "penalty only" system through providing bonuses when NOT in a specific state of Bloodied, +2 while not bloodied sounds a lot nicer than -2 while bloodied.

Last edited:

Hassassin

First Post
I think bloodied is fine, but I wouldn't want more states.

Maybe the effects of bloodied should be more significant and the negative consequences more long term. For example: +2 attack, +2 damage, -1 AC and saves, half healing from spells. All of these effects would tend to make combat end more quickly once characters start to be bloodied and the last would also matter beyond the encounter.

Edit: The effects should also be balanced so that the whole thing can be turned on/off. I think it should probably default to off.

Last edited:

boredgremlin

Banned
Banned
I dont like the balancing factor of bloodied. It SHOULD get easier to get beat down the more beat up you are. Thats more dramatic.

LOL I swear sometimes I think 4e lovers are the same people who never turn a video game to hard mode......

Please see Umbrans note below ~ Plane Sailing, admin

Last edited by a moderator:

the Jester

Legend
One of the best things about bloodied is how easy it is to track.

I would hate hate hate having to constantly check, "Am I at 25% of my hit points? What about 50%? 75%?"

No thanks, "half hit points" is easy, but the others just add a headache IMHO.

dangerous jack

First Post
I definitely like the idea of slight changes in gameplay at bloodied: Tiefling's Bloodhunt, Dragonborn's Fury, Shifter's Regeneration, Deva's loss of whatever it is, etc.

What I don't like is the fiddly numbers. IMC, it happens at least once a night that the dragonborn restates the AC that he hits after we've moved on ("oh yeah, I'm bloodied so I hit AC 23 instead of 22"). One solution is to say "sorry, we've moved on", but sometime's it's me as DM that forgets to lower a defence while bloodied (or to announce it).

I'd rather see more in the way of encounter powers that can only be used while bloodied, or against a bloodied target, or when not bloodied. Instead of Bloodhunt giving +1 to all attacks against bloodied foes, give me the ability to 1/enc gain +3 to hit a bloodied enemy. Same fluff, easier to manage.

I'm not a huge fan of introducing many more states, but I would be on board for keeping bloodied at 1/2, and introducing something at 1/4. I see no need for a 3/4 besides symmetry (which is rarely a good design choice by itself), and think the gameplay would hit that change point way too quickly.

I like "bloodied" and I don't even play 4E.

I use it because my players are constantly trying to make judgements on how badly a foe is injured, and the rules don't usually allow for that without special information (Heal checks, deathwatch spells, etc.) So I've adopted "bloodied" as a degree of woundedness that players can easily judge - "he's taken 78 points of damage, how badly hurt is he?" "he's not bloodied yet". "Oh ****".

And 50% is a good choice because it's so easy to figure on the fly.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
LOL I swear sometimes I think 4e lovers are the same people who never turn a video game to hard mode......

You laugh, but that's kind of insulting.

You know we've rules against being insulting, right? If you didn't know, now you do. We expect you to show respect for your fellow posters, no matter how different your tastes may be.

Please, folks, watch it with the insulting generalizations. Thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads