• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blow things UP!

kyberus

First Post
Out of extreme desire to destroy things at a distance, I bring this spell, true, it might need to be epic, or not, in any case, its a nasty, nasty bugger. Still, I feel its not too horible, not like too many people can cast it, and, if you are still in the EXACT MIDDLE of the blast radius at the end of the spell, then its practically your fault, you received your 24 second warning.
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting time: 1 day, special
Range: Line of Sight
Area: special (1 mile/20ft)
Duration: Concentration / 1d6+3 rounds (see text)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial or Reflex none, see text
Additional Counters: Wall of Force, Gate, Greater Teleport
Spell Resistance: None
Orchan's Orbital bombardment is a powerful seige weapon ussually used against stationary targets that inconvenience powerful wizards. That being said, to cast this spell, a wizard must select a specific square as a target that he has line of sight to, and spend twelve hours to cast the spell. This target may not be changed and remains stationary. Since the wizard must be within line of sight of the impact point of the spell, he may not use this spell underground unless the target is above ground. The wizards vision is only extended, for the purposes of this spell, by atleast a level 9 divination spell which permits him to view another area. Once the wizard has finished casting the spell, he unleashes a powerful force which pulls a nearby comet towards the earth. In the first round, shards of rock decend through the atmosphere into a 1 mile radius around the target, dealing 3d6 bludgeoning damage and 3d6 fire damage and knocking prone any who fail a reflex save at +5. This pummeling continues until the final round, when the comet (which has been easily visible since the begining of the spell), thunders into the earth, crushing a 5ft + d6*5ft radius around the target point, instantly destroying all nonmagical structures, and destroying or killing all magical objects or creatures on a failed fortitude saving throw at -5 (those within 5ft of the edge may make a reflex saving throw), or taking 30d6 unresistable damage on a success (except on a successful reflex, which takes none). The impact also creates a shockwave, extending in a 1/2 mile radius, which also instantly destroys all non-magical structures, and deals 5d6 force damage, 5d6 fire damage, and 5d6 bludgeoning damage (reflex half) to anything else within the area. Precise targeting requires deep concentration, expending a specially prepared crystal sphere filled with quicksilver, and requiring concentration until the final round. During this time, the spell may still be countered, in effect disrupting the mages concentration. If the mage loses control of the comet, it misses in a random direction by 1 mile per round of duration remaining, deals only half damage and has only one third the radius and a saving DC of 5 less. (Note, a counterspell utilizing either Orchan's Orbital Bombardment or Gate may instead usurp control of the spell, redirecting it to a point of THEIR choice or on top of the original caster) The crater left by the spell is 10*the width of the comet deep, and 1/2 mile wide, within which the ground is blasted into a symetrical formation, and often turned to hot glass. This spell is particularily draing, and requires two spell slots to prepare (one may be a specialization slot), or two spell slots to use.
Material component: A globe of crystal, filled with mercury and incribed with arcane and astronomical sigils, requiring a DC 25 knowledge (arcana) check to create and costing 1000gp, (3000 gp without the check), which is teleported into the center of the controlled comet by the spell
Xp component: 400xp

Last edited:

Michael Morris

First Post
Try making a few cantrips before writing a high level spell. This thing is an epic with a prep DC well into the thousands. In other words, way over the top.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I like the spell quite a bit. It is too powerful for a 9th level spell, but it's fun and useful in a way other 9th level spells usually aren't.

kyberus

First Post
Erm... I rather meant to sound sarcastic, were it that such a spell existed, not too many cities would exist..... only underground ones, as for casting time-> it was supposed to be 1 day, why? because that brings it from ridiculous and horendously stupid (QUICKEN metamagic rod...), to merely ridiculous and horendous.
Really, I was just hoping people would post some.... artillery spells. I reallize fireball and its ilk technically are, but I was looking for a heftier spell with a longer casting time and longer range, width, etc sortoff the equivalent of large artillery. And suited to blasting apart walls, (also earthquake, but... what does the ground rumbling have on horible screaming death descending from the sky) Does such a spell exist? ussually, spells are more "adventurer" items, as opposed to being suited for massed warfare.

Dakkareth

First Post
Mmhhh ... just to practise my skill with the BCCS magic system: 30d6 force damage within a half mile radius is quite possible. A 20th level wizard could do that with some dedication. Of course it will take 15 days, deal something like 16d8+50 non-lethal damage and leave him seriously impaired in his spellcasting ability for a week or so, but apart from that ...

The total destruction in one point is actually easier. Destroying anything within 20' of the target, forcing living beings to make a fort save or take 5d6+1 points of con damage can be done as fast as in five hours, though with a similarly harsh backlash of 13d8+38 and the same impaired spellcasting for a time.

Doing both at the same time is madness, taking 21 months to cast and dealing 16d8+68 drain. Of course, if you're a demigod, it could go as fast as 10 hours ...

Crosshair

First Post
I think theres a ritual spell in... perhaps Vile Darkness, or some book like it, where you sacrifice and artifact and it obliterates a few miles...

Artillery: Improved metamagic(epic):Level + for metamagic feats is reduced by 3(taken 3 times), Enhanced Spell(Adds 10d6 damage to area spells)x1, Maximize, and Epic Spellcasting.

Take 1 fireball, Enhance 9 times, maximize. 10d6+90d6=100d6, maximized...600 damage.
Required:About level 30.

This is not a solution.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads