• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

blowgun sneak attack

Darklone said:
Sense? With hitpoints?

Darklone leaves for a moment to laugh somewhere else.

Ok. No offense meant by this post. Do you know these movies where people are cut in two halves with thrown poker cards? That's the game you play right now. D&D just doesn't provide realistic things in regard of combat.

It's a kind of magic.

I agree with you right up until that last line. There is nothing magic about a sneak attack with a (nonmagical) blowgun.

GeorgeFields

Explorer
The hit point system is ridiculous. I haven't seen a combat system that is realistic AND simple in regards to damage.

I heard of a story where a character fell over a 70' cliff with 5 arrows sticking in him. After the fall, he jumped up and ran away.

Another in a modern game. A character took a shot to the back of the head at point blank range with a 50 caliber gun. It knocked him out. A few minutes later, he regained consciousness and saved the party.

Or, how about the character that was snatched by a dragon. The dragon was killed a few minutes later in aerial combat while still holding the character. They plummeted a few hundred feet to the ground. With less than 5 hp left, he ran over to the cleric for healing.

Here we go.
A 20th level rogue scores a critical hit and shoots a 20th level fighter in the eyeball with a blowgun for 62 points of damage. The fight chases him down and slices him up.
A first level rogue shoots a 1st level wizard in the leg with a blowgun for 7 points of damage. The wizard collapses and bleeds to death.

IanB

First Post
From 20', I can sink a blowgun needle far enough into a dartboard that I have a hard time pulling it back out again without a leatherman, and I haven't really practiced with it much.

Now, I can't do it *accurately*, and granted that D&D blowguns probably aren't accurately machine-made and perfectly straight like the one I used, but I'm also lacking the BAB of a level 20 rogue. :p

The point being, it doesn't seem completely beyond the realm of possibility to me that you could do some serious damage with a blowgun needle.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads