Blue Fire Giant

Cleon

Legend
Blue Fire Giant

So are any of those quibbles of use to you?

As you can tell I have way too much spare time this Sunday!

Moving on to the stats, they look pretty good but I still have a few suggestions.

How about adding Dexterity to the Saving Throws? Then they'll have one save proficiency from the Fire Giant parent (DEX), one from the Storm Giant parent (STR) and one both parents have (CON).

The lack of Skills really stands out.

Fire Giants have Athletics & Perception.
Storm Giants have Arcana, Athletics, History & Perception.

How about Arcana, Athletics & Perception for the Blue Fire Giant?

Now for the special traits, which begins with Burning Aura.

Firstly, it is strange that the aura cannot injure creatures without metal armour but still ignite wood and melt rock - the trees and boulders aren't wearing metal armour!

Presumably it being more harmful to metal armored creatures is somehow connected to their Crafting Magic only crafting metal, but I think creatures who don't wear metal armor should be able to take at least some damage from it. Maybe give them advantage on the saving throw instead, or give metal armored creatures disadvantage on the save?

Secondly, said save seems curiously low at DC 10. Presumably it's using the Blue Fire Giant's lowest stat of CHA 7 (-2) for the save and a base DC 8 like a spell?

Thirdly, there's a typo ("exstends") in the 2nd sentence and the final sentence has an extraneous comma ("resistance, or immunity") and an "effected" that should be "affected" (i.e. it should be "Creatures with fire resistance or immunity are not affected by the exhaustion."

As for Crafting Magic, I notice a few minor typos plus a couple of suggested tweaks I present below:

Crafting Magic. The blue fire giant conducts a 10 hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal. The creation is completed at the end of the hour, coalescing in an unoccupied space of the giant's choice within 40 feet.​
The item the giant creates can be worth no more than 5,000 gp, weigh no more than 3,000 lb., and must have enough space to coalesce. As part of this ritual, the giant must lay out metal, which can include coins, with a value equal to the creation. The metal transforms into the item at the ritual's end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation.​
The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if the giant possesses the original during the ritual.​

Next, in Molten Skin it should be "AC" or "Armor Class" rather than lower case "ac".

Cleon

Legend
Moving on to Actions, the Fist attack seems a bit weak.

A Fire Giant gets two Greatsword Attacks for 28 (6d6 + 7) which is much better than the 18½ average of the Blue Fire Giant's 3d6 + 8.

A Storm Giant does 30 (6d6 + 9) which is even better.

How about adding some fire damage like the Molten Rock?

If it punched for 18 (3d6 + 8) bludgeoning damage plus 11 (2d10) fire damage the average would by 29½, which seems more competitive.

Also, I liked the idea of the Blue Flame Torch an earlier version of this giant possessed. How about reviving that ability?

It's got Earth and Fire themed attacks but nothing from the Storm side of its parentage, so maybe these blue flames do lightning damage, or both fire and lightning damage?

I'm imagining a combination of a flameblade and the 30 ft. ranged attack form of produce flame, not a long distance attack like the 500 ft. range of a Storm Giant's lightning.

That suggests it'd be a Melee and Ranged Weapon Attack, but it could work as an Area of Effect attack too. I'm thinking more a cone or line emanating from the giant like some dragons' Flame Breath but it could be a distant radius like a Storm Giant's Lightning Strike.

Presumably the damage will be a bit less than a Storm Giant though, since this giant is CR 11 rather than 13.

While it could be a high damage attack that requires Recharge like the aforementioned lightning, I'm leaning more towards it being usable at-will and of average damage, on par with the Blue Fire Giant's thrown rocks and fists.

Axe11154

Explorer
Thank you for all the help. @Cleon Sorry ive been absent, my partners comin up for a visit so ive been getting stuff ready, I wont be back till a week after but once then ill be back and make the edits. thank you again!

Cleon

Legend
Did the stat changes, the changes to the grammar though may take some time, Also I did Father in Haven, to take it away from the Christian ideology. Its close I know, but I figured it would make it sound more characterized.

I had a vague suspicion that might be the case. The word Haven meant a protected place or safe port, which doesn't seem terribly appropriate for a god whose portfolio appears to be the atmosphere / storms / clouds et cetera.

Why not use Father of Sky then? Wouldn't that be a decent counterpart of Mother of Earth.

Remove ads