• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blue Rose fast-play rules are up

Turanil

First Post
Zoatebix said:
Man! You've got a good eye, Turanil. Remind me to look you up if I need layout done on a cover.

d20covers.jpg

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Yea, the Pern series (I think) is nominally sci-fi ... colonists on an alien world or some-such, but it goes right into the science-fantasy or pure fantasy and the novels seem to be firmly in that camp with Lackey. Honestly, I can't recall any other authors, I could go mine the bookshelves and find half a dozen.

There's one book I'm thinking of, "The Ghatti's Tale", I think, which is pretty much devoted to psychic cats and their human partners, a la the "Rhys Cat" in the fast play rules. Again, forget who wrote that but it came to mind as I saw it in Half-Price Books the other day.

Some of my (male) players are interested in seeing how a game of this could go. 3/4 of those interested have asked if there will be another setting book that will be a little less Chibi and SuperD. "Black Iron" or "Rusty Steel". ;)

My wife looked it over, thought it was interesting, but got a little overburdned with flowers and happy kingdoms, herself. Not that I"m saying my wife is normal or anything ... she married me, after all.

We'll all keep an open mind and an open eye for this, see if it's something we'll be interested in. I'm very interested in seeing how the target demographic will respond, since it's obvious it isn't me.

--fje

dream66_

First Post
I havn't been able to find the Psychic's Handbook anywhere. Would this be a good example of what it's rules are pretty much like?

GSHamster

Adventurer
I didn't there was a lot of fluff in the rules section. Fluff before and after, but the rules section was pretty clean.

I was impressed that one of the sample player characters for the adventure was a gay male. I don't think I've ever seen that before in an RPG adventure. Stylish, and sure to alienate the teenage boy market. ;)

So far it looks pretty interesting. I'm a little disappointed it kept the +3 to skills. Life would be easier if it was just 'your level' or 'your level/2'. But it's a minor quibble.

I am looking forward to this product.

Jeremy Crawford

First Post
Ranger REG said:
It has similar mechanical resemblance but certainly not derived from the product

I'm one of the coauthors and the editor of the Blue Rose core book, and the magic system is indeed based on The Psychic's Handbook, with changes to fit Blue Rose's mood and mechanical differences from D&D. Steve Kenson designed Blue Rose's rules.

I like it but my concern is about learning spells through scrolls and spellbooks, a la D&D.

There's none of this in Blue Rose. Arcana are learned through feats. :)

Nellisir

Hero
Ranger REG said:
It has similar mechanical resemblance but certainly not derived from the product, or else they would have cited the source in the OGL's Section 15 Copyright Notice.

Since Green Ronin owns the Psychic's Handbook, they aren't obligated to cite it in the S.15. They can essentially go "back to the source" (in this case, Steve Kenson's notes), and work from there.

Cheers
Nell.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Jeremy Crawford said:
I'm one of the coauthors and the editor of the Blue Rose core book, and the magic system is indeed based on The Psychic's Handbook, with changes to fit Blue Rose's mood and mechanical differences from D&D. Steve Kenson designed Blue Rose's rules.
My bad.

Jeremy Crawford said:
There's none of this in Blue Rose. Arcana are learned through feats. :)
So I've noticed. I like the concept.

Acid_crash

First Post
I like what's done with the classes and damage system that I might just strip all the game mechanics of Blue Rose and use them in my own world. I really like them.

Yair

Community Supporter
Is it just me?

I really wanted to like this game, and for the most part I think I do, but I find the damage system very complicated. Is it as complex in M&M? Too many conditions that differ only slightly and last only a short time if you ask me, and then there is fatigue... :confused:

Remove ads