• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blue Rose fast-play rules are up

Dalamar

Adventurer
You mean like how DnD normally has Fatigued, Exhausted, Nauseated, Disabled, Dying, Dazed, Dazzled, Stunned, Shaken, Fascinated and a whole slew of other conditions, with none of the conditions having a preset duration (instead needing you to check exactly what ability bestowed the condition for its duration)?

To me it seems like there's only three conditions that the standard HP system doesn't have: Dazed, Staggered and Wounded. Of these, Dazed is a standard condition from DnD, Staggered is a nice way of saying "the character is Stunned for one round, then Staggered (standard DnD condition) for another round", and Wounded is the same as "the character is Stunned for one round, and is Shaken untill healed".
How is that really complicated?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I liked the preview. I found it interesting that Steve and Jeremy finally did what others had threatened to do - just do away totally with the STAT score and use the bonus AS the score. Makes sense, in truth, and simplifies things supremely. The damage system is Mutants and Masterminds anyway - I already love that system, so not much to say there. Not enough crunch to say if I would like the rules as a whole - BUT, and this is a Sir Mix-a-Lot sized IF, this system might be something I might be able to use to introduce my wife to gaming. Hmmm...

Greg K

Legend
My initial reaction to the Blue Rose previews and fast play rules was that once again Green Ronin lives up to their motto: D20 Done Right! I like the use of generic classes rather than the standard dnd classes (although I still would have prefered an M&M point system), class based defense, the skill and feat magic system and the M&M damage system.

However my overwhelming enthusiasm was curbed just a little when I saw that the designers apparently chose to have armor add to defense rather than provide Protection as in Mutants and Masterminds.

Overall, I am looking forward to seeing the final product. Will there be copies at Gen Con So. Cal?

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
Okay, I have looked over the preview more thoroughly now and I have an opinion (as if anybody cared :) ).

I say: Very very cool. Honestly, I don't know if I would play this game, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to run it well, but I am very impressed with the way the rules/crunchy bits serve the mood the authors are trying to evoke.

And that cover painting is gorgeous. :) I know Turanil's not a fan of the title font, but I really like the design of this thing. It's visually interesting, but easy to read.

Wombat

First Post
I was interested looking over the preview. From the layout of the rules, the new way attributes are recorded, the damage, etc., it looks like Blue Rose is sort of halfway between D&D on the one hand and Ars Magica (or White Wolf WoD, in certain cases) on the other. Looks interesting.

It looks like a clean set of rules.

Zoatebix

Working on it
Okay - I haven't read the adventure yet, but I think I spoke too soon about the flowery text. I can't even find what set me off the other day.

Krieg

First Post
Zoatebix said:
Okay - I haven't read the adventure yet, but I think I spoke too soon about the flowery text. I can't even find what set me off the other day.

Most of the flowers of the meadows have passed, but still,
some flowers grow. Flowering vines twine in and around
the bones of four skeletons, that walk through the tall grass
of the meadow, carrying the limp body of a child clad in
sleeping clothes.

That's pretty much the worst of it.

...for the record I agree with you it isn't quite as bad as a quick first glance led me to believe.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads