• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blue steel... what's that then?

Scratched_back

First Post
Hi All,

Just a quickie.

In a 1st-session roleplay bonanza my character has been awarded a weapon made of something called "Blue Steel". It's a masterwork longsword set with two sapphires in the pommel and grip; have no idea if they'll be significent or not later on. Basically a family heirloom passed down.

Anyway, it's burning up my insides not knowing what the hell Blue Steel is, or any of it's properties... can anybody help me out?

Much appreciated.

Phlebas

First Post
In real life, blue steel is just a high-carbon steel - ie its strong and holds an edge well- perfect for a masterwork weapon

Unless you're DM is going to go all mystical, it just sounds like a flavour thing

Scratched_back

First Post
Ahh right... ok. No game-terms that you know of then? I thought it may've been one of the metal types from the X-thousand supplements out there.

Incidentally, the DM is normally a WotC only kind of guy, if that's helps pin-point anything.

Rhun

First Post
My guess is that it is simply a flavor thing as well. I often described masterwork weapons and such as being crafted of blue steel.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
It's a feat:

Blue Steel
You gain a +5 Diplomacy and Intimidate, but you can't turn left. :lol:

Magnum
Your stare can stop bullets. You gain the Deflect Arrows feat as long as your face is uncovered and in clear view. :cool:

Klaus

First Post
Mechanically, haven't heard of Blue Steel, but there are two things quite similar:

- Red Steel: from the Red Steel (duh!) setting. This red metal can bypass any material-based damage reduction, and also count as magic weapons for DR purposes (quickly adapting from 2e).

- Blue Ice: from Frostburn, this is ice that can be forged into weapons and armor.

Kmart Kommando said:
It's a feat:

Blue Steel
You gain a +5 Diplomacy and Intimidate, but you can't turn left. :lol:

Magnum
Your stare can stop bullets. You gain the Deflect Arrows feat as long as your face is uncovered and in clear view. :cool:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was going to say something about Zoolander but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as funny as this! :D

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads