Bluffing other party members?

mmu1

First Post
Artoomis said:
Elder-Basilisk, you have really watered-down the Bluff skill.

Well, you certainly need to have some limits on the skill. It's not a mind-controlling spell, after all.

Even if you assume that the sorcerer manages to con the rest of the party several times, how's Bluff ever going to stop the party from realizing that he clearly seems to be hoarding valuable items?
Who's to say that the party rogue, by nature a suspicious fellow, won't have fresh doubts about the situation every time he sees the rings glitter on the sorcerer's fingers?
Or that the wise cleric, despite initially agreeing with the sorcerer, won't spend the next night mulling the situation over in his head, and decide to cast a minor divination in the morning to silence his doubts?
As long as things like this are role-played properly, they should be a perfectly valid way of eventually seeing the truth despite the result of a Bluff check - as long as they're not abused by the players as a way of getting around every Bluff check.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Is the Sorceror the only magic user in the group? Does anyone else have Knowledge:Arcana or Detect Magic? Where did you get the items? Were they being used by a non-Sorceror bad guy?

There are many ways to find out that the Sorceror is lying.

Geoff.

TheFlamingRheo

First Post
I am playing a rogue/sorcerer right now and my DM has actually taught me a lesson about taking/stealing all the items. Next time he tries to do this why not use the DM's bolt and fry all his items. Or have someone cast det mag on him during a fight and since he is so worn down with magic say he is blinded, after the fight I guarantee that one, the other characters will know he has been lying or two he wont live through the fight. Another great thing to do is have a dragon who has just had all his treasure stolen come down and beat the living $*%+ out of him and take some items and leave the rest for any body who did not attack dragon. But if you really want to teach him a lesson why not have a trap or another spellcaster cast Mordenkainen's disjunction on all his items.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I'm not talking about circumstance modifiers. By the PHB, circumstance modifiers to sense motive should be:
-5 the target wants to believe you
+0 the bluff is believable and doesn't ask much/entail much risk for the character
+5 the bluff is a little hard to believe
+10 the bluff is hard to believe/entails a large risk for the target
+20 The bluff is way out there--almost impossible to believe.

According to the DMG, it is usually DC 15 to get a minor lie past a canny guard. Since most guards won't have sense motive, this would seem to assume that any attempt to sense motive vs. bluff is at some bonus--as long as the person being bluffed is naturally suspicious.

It's necessary to be quite liberal with circumstance bonusses in these cases. After all, a relatively low level bard (lvl 5) usually has +10 to bluff without any magic and very few classes have sense motive as class skills. By 10th level, the bard or rogue will probably have around +20 to that check. If DMs aren't liberal with sense motive circumstance bonusses, then NPCs will constantly catch PCs running away from murder scenes with blood on their hands only to let them go when the PC says "I'm bringing medicine to my wife and six dying children and the exertion of running gave me a nosebleed." That's a balance issue.

However, it's also important to realize that these are the DCs for the target to realize that the bluffer is lying. It doesn't mean that the NPCs will do what the characters want them to do. That would usually require a series of bluff, diplomacy, and intimidate checks.

This is clear when you think about how PCs interact with bluff checks. When an NPC successfully bluffs a PC or when a PC asks me if an NPC seems honest (sense motive check), I tell the PC "if he's lying, he's doing a good job--it sounds quite convincing." The PC doesn't have to believe it. The successful bluff merely introduces new (and possibly innaccurate) evidence to the PC's mind. For example, I was once a player in a party who had tracked down a man we believed to be responsible for a grisly series of murders in a small fantasy village. When we met him, he successfully bluffed, saying he didn't know anything about it and that we should check out another man who lived a ways off in the woods. We were suspicious, and one person thought of sending a familiar in to investigate his domicile for evidence but we couldn't see a reason to actively disbelieve him so we went on to investigate the other character and missed the big bad guy. In that case, it would have been wrong for the DM to say: he makes his bluff check, you blow your sense motives, you believe him and he gets away. Instead, he told us "he sounds honest" and our characters, though suspicious decided not to press him too hard.

An even more clear-cut example is a court case. The defendant almost always claims to be innocent or to have been under the control of magic. Does that mean that he should roll a bluff vs. the jury's sense motive and if one of the jury members blows the sense motive, the crook walks? Of course not. The criminal rolls his bluff. If he fails, the jury thinks "that guy's guilty as sin--I know he's hiding something." If he succeeds, the jury thinks, "I'm not sure--he sounds pretty sure of himself, let's hear the rest of the evidence." If there are three convincing witnesses who saw the accused pulling the trigger and he was found with a gun in his hand which matched the ballistics of the bullet that killed the victim, it'll take more than a DC 30 bluff check to convince the jury that the accused is innocent. He'll have to call other witnesses to his side, cast doubt on the veracity of the witnesses, and invent a convincing alternate explanation of the circumstances. Assuming he's really guilty, that's a series of difficult bluff checks not just one.

Bluff isn't mind control magic--it's being a good liar. In a fantasy world with potions of glibness, etc. there are a lot of good liars out there, so the logical reaction for an NPC confronted with an outrageous claim which he's on the verge of believing is to try to verify it in some way. This certainly doesn't make the skill worthless. It merely means that one needs to be careful about how one uses it.

The character who convinced the guard to go check with his superiors will get another bluff check to convince the superiors. The character who convinced the guard to check if the king was in his chambers has just eliminated one guard from any potential conflict. In general, however, it's stupid to tell high risk lies about verifiable things (unless you've made certain the verification will come out in your favor). Unless verification is really difficult or risky ("we've a radiation leak at the moment--do you want to come in and check it out?") both PCs or NPCs will usually attempt to verify the truth before taking a big risk on the word of someone they don't really know or trust. Allowing one use of the bluff skill to avoid attempts at verification is an invitation to anyone with the bluff skill to abuse the campaign world to no end.

Artoomis said:
Elder-Basilisk, you have really watered-down the Bluff skill.

What you are talking about are circumstance modifiers that should be applied. In the case of pretending to be the King, if the player provides an at least plausible story (even if it's a big stretch), and the DM gives an opposed roll, the whole bit about "I thought the King was in his chambers" provides the basis for a circumstance penalty to the PC's Bluff roll - maybe a really, really big one, maybe even enough to make it impossible.

That's the control on the Bluff skill - circumstance modifiers for really outrageous attempts - sometimes enough to make it impossible.

It is patently unfair to the players to allow a Bluff check to succeed and then tell them they are not believed anyway. In that situation, whay ptu any ranks into Bluff at all?

The Bluff skill is not to fool someone into thinking you believe something they know is false - it's about convinving them that some falsehood is the truth.

As for PCs - it's up to the DM to help them declare what they think is true. Bluff and Sense Motive checks might be used to help in that determination. Then again, if the PCs are not working together then the campaign will likley fall flat on its face anyway.

hong

WotC's bitch
Elder-Basilisk said:

(snip vast amounts)

1) NPC bluffing PC != PC bluffing NPC

2) Courtroom != mean streets

3) "The world is b0rken!" arguments are inadmissible by dint of Hong's Third Law.

Al

First Post
Well, strictly speaking, it's the lawyer that makes the Bluff check, and since they usually have damned good Bluff scores, you get some funny results...:D

Back on the main topic. I would agree that Elder-Basilisk is underestimating the power of Bluff. Bluff does not 'make you sound believable'. It means that under normal circumstances, your mark does indeed believe you. However, the main drawback is that any Knowledge skill or incontravertible evidence can trump Bluff immediately.
e.g.
Sorceror: 'Amulets of Natural Armour can only be worn by sorcerors'.
Wizard: 'No they can't. Anyone can wear them and gain there effects.'
What could then follow would be opposed Bluff checks to see who sounds more believable to the rest of the party. The kicker's in the circumstance bonus: the party want to believe the wizard (so +5 to his Bluff) and find the sorceror's evidence hard to believe, especially given that the wizard has debunked his claim (-20 or worse to his Bluff.) And of course if the sorceror keeps lying, the circumstance penalty should rise and rise...until no-one believes anything he says.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I agree with hong.

In the courtroom case, evidence will continue to up the Sense Motive modifier.

I think that Bluff can be played many ways and its influence on the game is dependant on the DM and the type of game he wants to run. My style is to allow impossible Bluffs with high rolls, like the PHB suggests.

noretoc

First Post
Gotta come in with Elder here. I think it is not a good thing to tell the PC they have to believe something unless there is some type of magic involved. If I was a player, and my DM said "You can't tell him he is lying, he made his bluff check" I would be pissed. A good bluff roll means he did a great job of lying, and sounds believable. I do the same thing elder does. "As far as you can tell, he is not trying to fool you". Then let the PC make thier own decision. If you have a good player, he will let it go at first, until he get suspiscious enough. If he plays paranoid (one of my players currently thinks EVERYONE is lying, it's funny) he might get suspiscious even when people are telling the truth. If your player aren't mature enough to handle the "non-player" knowledge, they should probably stick to slaying monsters and leave the role-playing alone (not a slam, some people are just better for this).

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Thanks for the extensive write ups Elder-Basilisk. That makes a lot of sense and should help us avoid problems down the road. As we've got a character in another campaign that could routinely make DC(40+) bluff checks, I really like the idea of limiting the "mind-control" powers of the skill. Of course, if someone lies very convincingly, then you'd be more prone to believe them as long as there is not a real reason to doubt them.

"These are not the droids you're looking for..."

The Force? Or just a Bluff(20)?

Last edited:

Moonglum

First Post
Well since he has most of his points in Bluff, throw some cursed and trapped items at him. See how much he wants to take the poison needle armor of "you permenantly lose 5 points of bluff and one point of con and can never regain them" after he's been stung by the power of the almighty DM.

But I'm biased...

Remove ads