Bluffside - anyone still using it?

Friadoc

Explorer
I own both the Bluffside mainbook and the interludes book and I love it, although I've only used a pieces or two of it.

However, that's about to change, although I can't really go into a lot of detail, due to people whom I play with sometimes lurker on the boards. :]

Bluffside has to be one of my more favorite d20 books and I, for one, would welcome a 3.5 Update of it.

Heck, that reminds me that I need a few more books for the series to round out my collection. :cool:

Deadguy

First Post
I used it in my Shattered World campaign as-is, and the city remains there - they just haven't been back yet. I enjoyed it as a place - as did the player. It has the fun of a setting where you can adventure and get a good night's rest in an hotel! (I emphasised the ruins beneath the city, being explored by archaeologists and adventurers.)

Magestrike

First Post

Hey. Its good to see ol Bluffside still gets some love after all this time. I personally would love to see a 3.5 update with some new stuff added. Maybe take the city 50 years into the future to see how its changed or something.

I plan on using it in the campaign I am am starting in January and all the players are looking forward to me using it.

Hey Curtis. :)

Magestrike
Bluffside Contributing Writer

Psion

Adventurer
Voadam said:
Btw, what are Seawell and Naranjan?

Seawell is our classical "small village where the PCs started." The name was pulled through the adventure we are now running through, Wreck Ashore (one of the free adventures at the wizards site; I'd point you to it but the Wizards main site seems down to me.)

Naranjan is the India-inspired island nation that is the setting for Green Ronin's psionic setting book, Mindshadows:
http://enworld.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=33624&

One project on my plate is to find equivalents for most of the PrCs in 3.5 psionic material, and convert the rest.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Olaf the Stout said:
Didn't you write a lot of it Curtis?

Olaf the Stout

I did write a lot of it. The Military district, the clerical domains, the steam gnomes, the gods, and the surrounding areas, including a bunch of the NPCs.

Bluffside was an interesting experiment. I think we had something like 5 writers, maybe 6 all contributing stuff to it. It's amazing that it came out as cohesive as it did. I suspect that was largely Jim (Govreau)'s doing.

But some things slipped through - like the apparent "hatred" of sorcerers by all the wizards in the town. Someone at Gen Con once asked me why the wizards hated sorcerers. "I didn't know that they did", but then I read one of the POIs that indicated that they did. The towers repelled sorcerers, and I think one of the writers (Magestrike?) took it that the wizards hated sorcerers then, though that wasn't the intention. The tower just repelled sorcerers.

FWIW, the "history" that the core writers worked up about all this stuff involved the town founders having a squabble with the sorcerers wherein the sorcerers were trying to unleash powerful magic. The wizards had the foresight to see this coming, and locked themselves in the palace, and built the tower to keep the sorcerers away from them, or to protect themselves from their magic. The sorcerers ended up unleashing an asteroid which pummeled the planet, sending it into an ice age.

Remove ads