• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Board Game Dayz

Holy Bovine

First Post
Ahhhh... I love board game day. And I am hosting one this Saturday at my house (I'd love to invite you but..y'know...the 'incident' lingers). They happen too infrequently for my tastes though. Does anyone run a weekly board game night/day with their gaming group? Do you find you can play some of the longer (ie Arkham Horror or Runebound) games at it? What kinds of games (wargames, card games, eurogames) do people play at their board game days?

Yes I am really excited about this Saturday!! Gonna do pulled pork sandwiches and baked beans in the slow cooker :yum:

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
We are running our open board game night every Wednesday since more than 10 years. Focus are Eurogames with many borderline cases, e.g. Martin Wallace games. 6-10 people are usually attending, with the members of our RPG group only visiting very sporadically.

Longer games are scheduled on Wednesdays as well and played on weekends, though I would love to see more of this.

A spin-off of our Wednesdays is the boardgame wee enjoy once per year at a agrotourism site. These weekends are attended by more than 40 people equally split between children and adults.

Arnix

First Post
We have a weekly board game night at our FLGS in Augusta, GA. People show up early afternoon and we game until about midnight. The board games range from mil strat, euros, classics (not monopoly types), cards (dominion and such), etc. We even have MtG, Malifaux, Warmachine, 40k, and DnD 3x players. Been doing this every week for quite a few years now. (Augusta Book Exchange FB group)

We have done some of the longer games though we usually plan those a week or two out since they require longer commitments.

Crothian

First Post
I'm doing a boardgame Saturday toimorrow as well. We don't do it as often as I like as it is difficult to schudle but it is always fun!

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
We have a semi-regular board game night on Fridays. Recently we have been having a lot of fun playing Race for the Galaxy and Betrayel at the House on the Hill.

I recommend that if you are the game owner and you are going to be playing a more complex and longer game like Arkham Horror that you read up on all the rules ahead of time so you can get the game rolling faster by being a coach for everyone.

DS

Agamon

Adventurer
We have a weekly board game club on Thursday nights. Absolutely all kinds of games get played, though the truly long games usually don't (we save games like Die Macher, Through the Ages, Twilight Imperium, the longer 18xx games, etc, for weekend get togethers). 4 or 5 of us have some bigger collections, and I've been able to try a lot of new games and play my own a lot more than I would normally have.

LightPhoenix

First Post
We've been trying to set one up for a while, but everyone in my group is so busy we barely have time for D&D let alone board games. Hopefully this Thursday we'll be having one.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Well our BGD was a huge success. We had 14 people here in total (some came for the first half some for the second half after dinner) and played a huge gambit of games.

Seafarers of Catan 4 player New World map with the winner being a full 4 points ahead of everyone else at the end.
Dominion multiple games played mostly 5-6 player too with the base game and Intrigue.
Thunderstone again multiple games played of this mostly 5 player - rolling boulder traps are brutal!
Burn in Hell only one game of it was played and it got a lukewarm response. I didn't play but the problem seemed to be the repetitive nature of the game.
Zombie Dice A cute dice game that charmed a lot of people.
Cthulhu Dice Despite the similar mechanics of Zombie Dice this one didn't go over as well.
Castle Ravenloft lots of fun dungeon bashing our way to the Icon of Ravenloft.

Dominion and Thunderstone really dominated the day with probably 6-7 games of these two being played total. Seems the whole 'deck building' genre is wildly popular with my circle of friends (and me too - I was in on most of these games!).

IronWolf

blank
I was at Crothian's Board Game Day this past weekend. The first one I had been able to make - scheduling weekends can be tough for me. It was a great time. There were eight people there and a good mix of folks that could only play for several hours and another set there for the long haul.

I got to play:

Ticket to Ride: Fun game, I had been interested in playing as I thought IronPup would like it. I will likely be getting this one for Christmas for him. We did play with the 1910 expansion set. I played two games of this.
San Juan: Fun game as well. Pretty easy to pick up and seemed like enough variety in cards and such that it would be different game each time.
Ingenious: Another fun game once I got the hang of how the scoring worked. Thinking about this one for IronPup as well as I think he'd enjoy it too.

Then the long haul guys played one of the many Axis & Allies editions that were there. I am a big Axis & Allies fan, but I wasn't going to be there long enough to commit to that game this past weekend.

Lots of fun though!

Remove ads