• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bob Salvatore on the various editions of D&D

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
There was another interesting Salvatore piece over at Grognardia recently. Also talks about loving 1E and why. Seems like a good guy. Sorry, no link handy.

abhorsen950

First Post
Really enjoyed watching both clips, I love watching role-playing games live, especially by D&D They've done a couple now that I've watched and really, really enjoyed them.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Sadly his writing of late seems to have the reek of 4e cheese. I'm not busting on 4e per se I just don't give a damn what the rules say when I'm reading a novel. Legacy was last real fun I had with it.

I was a fan of Drizzt, Artemis and crew. I never had a Drizzt clone. Dinnin and Zak were a diffrent story altogether.

GreyLord

Legend
Sadly his writing of late seems to have the reek of 4e cheese. I'm not busting on 4e per se I just don't give a damn what the rules say when I'm reading a novel. Legacy was last real fun I had with it.

I was a fan of Drizzt, Artemis and crew. I never had a Drizzt clone. Dinnin and Zak were a diffrent story altogether.

I actually really enjoyed the Drizzt novels, but this writing change happened before 4e started, when the thousand Orcs came about.

Then it was Orcs as characters, with Bear's strength, 3e magic weapons, etc. You could practically see 3e written into it far more than books of earlier editions IMO.

You could also see influences on the writing for books before that from 2e, but not as obvious in some ways as more recent books. It was still rather obvious in some ways however for some things.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author

I think a lot of that is from shackles imposed by the WotC editors.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The terrible shackles of cheese. :eek:

handcuff-cake-21321579.jpg

Tamlyn

Explorer
I actually really enjoyed the Drizzt novels, but this writing change happened before 4e started, when the thousand Orcs came about.

Then it was Orcs as characters, with Bear's strength, 3e magic weapons, etc. You could practically see 3e written into it far more than books of earlier editions IMO.

You could also see influences on the writing for books before that from 2e, but not as obvious in some ways as more recent books. It was still rather obvious in some ways however for some things.

Thousand Orcs is where I started getting frustrated with the books. You'd read a couple of hundred pages and by the time you got to the end, nothing had been resolved. Then in the next series (Transitions, I think?) it was more non-resolution and a few random, pointless deaths. I haven't read the most recent one, I may be done for good.

His earlier stuff had decent plot, fun battles, a little humor, and some story resolution - all stuff I want from my games. The later ones, not so much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads