• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bob Salvatore on the various editions of D&D

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I actually really enjoyed the Drizzt novels, but this writing change happened before 4e started, when the thousand Orcs came about.

Then it was Orcs as characters, with Bear's strength, 3e magic weapons, etc. You could practically see 3e written into it far more than books of earlier editions IMO.

You could also see influences on the writing for books before that from 2e, but not as obvious in some ways as more recent books. It was still rather obvious in some ways however for some things.

If I could complete a thought I might have said this also.

Orius

Legend
"I prefer 3.5."
"You're a rules lawyer, aren't you?"

Heh.

What I know of Salvatore is that a LOT of people really despise his most famous character. A character popular enough to be stridently reviled for decades. He sure seems like decent guy in the vid. Decent enough that someday I might actually READ something he's written.

I wonder how much of it isn't Drizzt hate, but Drizzt clone hate.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
I liked the first three Drizzt books. Of course, I was also 14-15 when I first read them. They were easy, light, quick reading. I think I read them all in about two days, in a car on family vacation.

As it relates to gaming, I had guys that wanted to use two weapons, but it was more about getting the extra attacks/damage than "being Drizzt." Honestly, I really didn't give a crap. I was happy to have any players at all.

Admittedly, we were a fairly isolated crew with no real exposure to the GAMING COMMUNITY. I might have had a different reaction if every time I went to the game store I had to witness 20 dudes all trying to play Grizzt, Brizzt, Frizzt, etc etc. That would get old real fast.

NotZenon

Explorer
Some of his novels where pretty good. Many were not. I liked his first three novels, Drizzt wasn't even the main character for starters. In the chrystal shard, drizzt uses his bow as much as his swords. The characters seem like they are actually in Peril (they are not imMortal).

Mostly the early books didn't read like the Novelization of a DnD module. Some of his later FR stuff really reads like a novelization of a DnD session - and that stunk - you could tell when the characters were using there "class powers" and when other characters "successfully saved vs fortitude", etc... I can only imagine this will get worse with his 4rth edition novels. (since he states in the press conference that WoC wants him to highlight the edition change)

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
Y'know... his comments were brilliant. It's probably the first clip on YouTube I've ever listened to, stopped, then watched again. Thanks for the link!

Remove ads