• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Bob World Builder Recreates WOTC's "Do You Like Me?" Survey!

Stormonu

Legend
It's scary to realize that a lot of people now-a-days get the majority of their news off randos on TikTok and Youtube.

"I totally trust Youtuber PoliticsGetMeHard69 to give me the truth about world events."
I'm not exactly sure The Nightly News on TV (or Newspaper) is any less biased or uniformed. Yellow journalism, tabloids, scandals and people since forever complaining about reporters not knowing what they are talking about have been around forever.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I'm not exactly sure The Nightly News on TV (or Newspaper) is any less biased or uniformed. Yellow journalism, tabloids, scandals and people since forever complaining about reporters not knowing what they are talking about have been around forever.

True but some have actual journalism backgrounds with news organizations backing them up (and yeah how far does that go now-a-days?) and some are just randos who started a youtube channel and read the hot topics of the day

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
When YouTubers live in fear of libel and slander lawsuits, they'll have the same checks and balances traditional media does. As far as I know, none of them ever have been sued for putting out misinformation.

In contrast, if your local TV station or newspaper gets it wrong, they scramble to fix it.

The two aren't at all comparable.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I think with all things, the lesson is: do your homework and verify your source is reliable. Don't just take randos at their word ;) .
Yep, absolutely.

And it's not complicated. It's not a great mystery of the modern age, that cannot be understood by mortal man. :D There are trusted news agencies out there, with good reputations and high accountability---the BBC, Reuters, NPR, etc. They've been reporting the news for decades. They are not "randos." They've been around for years, and they are trusted names in the industry.

The biggest problem, IMO, is that most people haven't learned the difference between legitimate journalism and editorial content. There are a lot of businesses and agencies that present themselves as "news," right down to the costumes and set design (The Daily Show, Last Week Tonight, pretty much everything on Fox) and they aren't. If you don't know how to separate Fact from Opinion, you're setting yourself up to fail.

It's even worse on the internet--blogs, articles, and forums are almost never fact-checked or peer reviewed, and can make any claims they wish with little or no consequences. And it's the absolute worst on YouTube, which has the same lack of accountability as the rest of the Internet and the algorithm actively promotes and rewards bad behavior. Unless you are watching content created by, and vetted by, an actual news agency, you are pretty much asking to be lied to.

And to be fair, a lot of people are asking to be lied to. They don't like what they see on trusted news outlets--they don't like being told that pineapple on pizza is delicious, for example--so they look for someone else who will agree with them about pepperoni supremacy or whatever. They don't want the truth, they want to be agreed with.

Anyway. Obviously this stuff is very important to me, but I'm off-topic, and I'm rambling, so I'll drop it.

Last edited:

I'm not seeing the survey as a toxic stunt. It just seems like curiosity because it was brought up on The Lazy GM and then Mike dismissed the idea.
Given the massive selection bias that will inevitably infect the result, it can't really be seen as anything else.

Unless, I suppose, he just doesn't understand things like selection bias, in which case he shouldn't be doing any surveys.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Given the massive selection bias that will inevitably infect the result, it can't really be seen as anything else.

Unless, I suppose, he just doesn't understand things like selection bias, in which case he shouldn't be doing any surveys.
I'm confident he does. This is the guy who did a bunch of videos trying to replicate D&D actions, like movement speed and chugging a potion in the game-allotted time, in real life.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I've watched a lot of Bob's videos. I think he's done maybe...maybe...3-4 negative videos the entire time he's been putting stuff out. A few during the OGL debacle last January and one as a follow up to the OGL fiasco this January about how WotC hasn't followed through with their promises. To claim that he's negative or a clickbait chaser is to admit to never having actually watched his videos. Seriously. He's relentlessly positive. Almost annoyingly so. It's comical that people are complaining how negative he is.

OakenHart

Adventurer
It looks like Larian (the studio that did Baldur's Gate 3) has just recently said at the GDC going on that they will not be putting out any DLC or expansions for Baldur's Gate 3 (will just continue with patches), and will not do a Baldur's Gate 4. This is after months back they said there were discussions about the possibility of such, and they would like to do more.

Considering that awhile back Swen lamented WotC laying off all the people that originally worked with Larian for BG3 over at WotC, and also at this same event the Larian CEO going on about publishers greed about layoffs in general (more focused on the video games industry layoffs, not really about Hasbro/WotC itself), it seems likely it's more due to not wanting to work with Hasbro/WotC further than any issue with wanting to the work with the IP itself.

Seems relevant to the question on how people are feeling about Hasbro/WotC at the moment.

Remove ads