D&D General Bob World Builder Recreates WOTC's "Do You Like Me?" Survey!

Zardnaar

Legend
Yes. And if you every try to hold someone accountable over something scummy they try to do, but they failed at doing it because they got got by the internet caught them and roasted them for it, not only are you the Enemy, but so is the platform you use and everyone on that platform.

Which is why I can't wait for the logic bomb explosions when they realize WotC is also on YouTube.

Not really just remember the OGL thing could have meant WotC trying it on with youtubers as well. We want a cut of your income.

People can be pushed off as long as they want. Personally I've been boycotting some products since 2008, 10 and 2012.

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
Not really just remember the OGL thing coukd have meant WotC trying it on with youtubers as well. We want a cut of your income.

People can be pushed off as long as they want. Personally I've been boycotting some products since 2008, 10 and 2012.
I am very confused and not sure we're having the same conversation.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I don't disagree, but what would you have them do next? They've already backtracked, already reversed their decision, already acknowledged the problem, and they've already ensured that it can't happen again by putting everything into the Creative Commons. I understand the desire to beat that drum, but what other action are we trying to drum up?
All the stuff they said they were going to do?

And what the the Youtubers supposed to do? NOT react to this behavior and just declare everything Hakuna immediately?

Zardnaar

Legend
I am very confused and not sure we're having the same conversation.

I.l'm saying tge youtubers have just cause to dunk on WotC.

If you want to shill for an American corporation for free go ahead. Just don't be surprised when tgey act like an American Corporation.

They're not your friends.

Scribe

Legend
I don't disagree, but what would you have them do next? They've already backtracked, already reversed their decision, already acknowledged the problem, and they've already ensured that it can't happen again by putting everything into the Creative Commons. I understand the desire to beat that drum, but what other action are we trying to drum up?

Where are the rest of the SRD's which were mentioned during the apology tour for starters.

Then, I want a commitment on the 5.5 SRD going into CC as well.

At that point, I may buy that there is an actual commitment from Wizards.

mamba

Legend
I understand the desire to beat that drum, but what other action are we trying to drum up?
I am not beating any drum, but I pay attention to whether we get a proper 2024 SRD and whether the 3.x SRDs make it into CC.

Releasing these would be my sign that they learned a lesson and did not just cave in the moment to get us to shut up, with no real commitment to an open SRD

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
All the stuff they said they were going to do?
I don't remember them saying exactly what they were going to do. (But I do remember a lot of demands being issued.) My memory isn't perfect, though. What did they say they were going to do, but haven't yet done?

I pay attention to whether we get a proper 2024 SRD and whether the 3.x SRDs make it into CC.

Releasing these would be my sign that they learned a lesson and did not just cave in the moment to get us to shut up, with no real commitment to an open SRD.
That would be nice, but that's a while different kettle of fish from the OGL debacle. (And it truly was a debacle, oof.)

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
I don't remember them saying exactly what they were going to do. (But I do remember a lot of demands being issued.) My memory isn't perfect, though. What did they say they were going to do, but haven't yet done?

That would be nice, but that's a while different kettle of fish from the OGL debacle. (And it truly was a debacle, oof.)

I remember hearing a lot about the release of the earlier edition SRDs into CC but it was always third hand for me. I went ahead and found at least one instance where it came up: funny enough, it was in a talk between Bob and Kyle Brink.

That link should take you to 16:07, where Kyle says that they will be releasing earlier SRDs after they make sure they aren't releasing IP into the wild.

As for any other promises, I don't remember anything concrete. Honestly, everything about the OGL is just exhausting now a year and a half later. Easy for me to say, being someone whose income isn't tied to making DnD adjacent products, but oof.

mamba

Legend
they said they would look into releasing the 3.x SRD under CC. I believe they also said they would look into creating 1e and 2e (and maybe 4e?) SRDs, but I always found that one both unnecessary (for 1e and 2e) and highly unlikely.

how is that different from the OGL debacle, not having them under an open license was the OGL debacle…

I remember hearing a lot about the release of the earlier edition SRDs into CC but it was always third hand for me. I went ahead and found at least one instance where it came up: funny enough, it was in a talk between Bob and Kyle Brink.

That link should take you to 16:07, where Kyle says that they will be releasing earlier SRDs after they make sure they aren't releasing IP into the wild.

As for any other promises, I don't remember anything concrete. Honestly, everything about the OGL is just exhausting now a year and a half later. Easy for me to say, being someone whose income isn't tied to making DnD adjacent products, but oof.
Kyle also said they’d publish a list of content standards for their own material since problematic content was something they said they were concerned about and they shouldn’t try to hold someone to a standard they aren’t meeting themselves (paraphrasing). I honestly forget if they ever published this. I couldn’t find anything immediately in a 15 second Google search but it may be out there somewhere and I just failed to find it.

Remove ads