• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boccob's Blessed Book and Cost per Page

Thanee

First Post
ARandomGod said:
Personally I prefer a house-rule that would allow pearls to be used with spontanious casting. It's a little wrong that they don't, IMO.

Yup, just use them to refresh a used-up slot. That would work fine.

Bye
Thanee

Tyrrell

First Post
noeuphoria said:
The book is necessary. I was allowed to stat out a 19th level wiz for my epic campaign, and use 19th level wealth. Giving my character a MODEST spell selection cost me 90,000 gp, and that's with BBB. If I hadn't had it, that would have cost me upwards of 150,000. A class that needs to burn 1/3 of its wealth just to be decent wouldn't be worth it. After all, the main advantage a wizard has over a sorc is their flexibility. Can't be flexible without a wide spell selection.

I would consider a modest selection to be 8 spells per level. At 19th level the character has recieved 4 bonus spells of each level for their wizard class (more for levels 0 and 1). This leaves them 4 spells per level to pay for; a total of 60 pages or 6,000 gp.

The cost to copy the spells from other copies of the spell in other people's spell books is free for the spellbooks of defeated enimies and free when you can trade access to spell books with another wizard to copy one another's spells (I've never seen a multiple wizard party where this _wasn't_ done). In some campains there are wizard's guilds providing their members the opportunity to learn more spells is certainly why they exisit.

I don't see having to purchase scrolls for every spell in the character's book to be in any way a reflection of a reasonable background for a wizard. 90,000 is too much 12,000 is what I would consider reasonable.

Remove ads