• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bolo Campaign Materials

Kafen

First Post
The Bolo - Bolo MK XXXIII

I want to use the post Melconian war setting from the Star Union of Ararat storyline. And yes, it has a large self-aware tank in it. The tank itself will be not in play within the general game itself, but the mechanic for such large machines has to exist in the game.

I am not sure what system to use. So far, I am considering the following: d20 modern, dawning star, Eclipse Phase, GURPS, and d20 Saga. The system itself has to mesh with Forum game play through text for the most part.

Eclipse Phase seems to be a strong system for it with the built-in AI support as in-game mechanics, but GURPS would cover the same aspects of AI through skills and advantages without too much trouble. Those two are my most likely picks at this time as D20 modern, Dawning Star, and D20 Saga would require some system building in order to generate the duplicate the flexible mechanics required for the AI element.

So, I ask... What would you use for a Bolo campaign?

kitsune9

Adventurer
The Bolo - Bolo MK XXXIII

I want to use the post Melconian war setting from the Star Union of Ararat storyline. And yes, it has a large self-aware tank in it. The tank itself will be not in play within the general game itself, but the mechanic for such large machines has to exist in the game.

I am not sure what system to use. So far, I am considering the following: d20 modern, dawning star, Eclipse Phase, GURPS, and d20 Saga. The system itself has to mesh with Forum game play through text for the most part.

Eclipse Phase seems to be a strong system for it with the built-in AI support as in-game mechanics, but GURPS would cover the same aspects of AI through skills and advantages without too much trouble. Those two are my most likely picks at this time as D20 modern, Dawning Star, and D20 Saga would require some system building in order to generate the duplicate the flexible mechanics required for the AI element.

So, I ask... What would you use for a Bolo campaign?

If I understand you correctly, you're looking to use this in a forum play-by-post style? If so, I'd go with an even more rules-lite or rules-fast game. If just a regular tabletop game, then any of your choices are good ones, just what kind of style do you want to run?

If you want to more customization and detail with advantages, flaws, and features fully mapped out, there's GURPS or Herosystem, or if you want a progressive scale, the any D20 game should be good. I don't know DS or Eclipse (I haven't checked out my pdf yet) so I can't comment on those.

Happy Gaming!

Kafen

First Post
Yup yup, play by post...at least for now. Things may change when/if my tabletop sci-fi group ever returns to Norfolk.

Err, anywho - the style of play! Han Solo Adventures meets Tomb of Horrors is the best description that I can think of at the moment. It's mostly RP with limited combat. I try to avoid long fights that take extended periods. That's partly what makes me think of Saga in truth - association of content. :) But...

I'll have to check out Herosystem.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Okay, if you're going for play-by-post, probably a very rules-fast or rules-light game is better--something that you can resolve tasks and combat in but a few threads. Of course, you want to stat out your Bolo using GURPS or Herosystem or D20, that's fine, but actual play or running the pbm is probably better served with the rules-lite approach.

Anyways, good luck!

Happy Gaming!

Kafen

First Post
Mekton Z looks like a decent Mech system, first off. I just checked out the website. :hmm: I'll have to look around the local stores to see if there is a copy floating around.

Jack7

First Post
I think others have given good ideas about systems to employ, though when it came to sci-fi about AI then I made up my own game.

But I do have a couple of ideas concerning BOLOs. I have a BOLO in one of my games, the original stories by Laumer were some of my favorite sci-fi books as a young fella. Anywho I suggest you read his original series of books assuming you haven't already.

So here are some ideas about how you could involve the BOLO in the game without necessarily getting the tank into battle. As you know the BOLO has a huge internal AI system which is very heroic and knightly in most cases. Self-sacrificial too.

In my game there are things called IA, which are the reverse of AI, in the fact that they are artifacts which are intelligent in some way or capacity. Some are alien, some are of unknown origins. Some can house AI , so that the AI of a BOLO can be more or less easily transported around outside the hull of the tank.

Other corporations have built cyborgs and androids which can effectively either house large parts of the AI of a BOLO, or can at least link to the AI of a BOLO so as to act like a controlling parallel connection link, in effect giving the BOLO a humanoid body by which it can directly interact with humans and aliens at their level of size and function. (Think of the BOLO as a Knight, in tank form he is like a super Mounted Knight, in these smaller and independently functioning bodies he is like a dismounted soldier or even an agent. This allows the BOLO to act as both Mounted War-Knight and Stealthy Agent - often those he encounters in these smaller bodies are unaware he is in fact a BOLO AI.) This also allows the BOLO to scout out small areas, to conduct reconnaissance, and to infiltrate various areas used by enemies, etc. You might think of these bodies as sort of like a drone (or like a UAV, only land based) of the AI consciousness of the BOLO.

I've also equipped the BOLOs in my game with detachable, multi-functional scouts of various kinds, aerial, marine, and ground based, for various operations. This allows the BOLO to construct operations in areas it could not normally reach, and therefore to remain active and directing or controlling affairs even in environments in which it is operationally restricted. Anywho, if you were interested din making the BOLO a player, then it could engage in operations or perhaps even adventure with the team/party through such proxy means, artifacts, and devices.

Also I've had aliens assume control of BOLO AI, and the various sub-components of a BOLO system, such as AI body housings, and drone systems.

Then again you could have a BOLO develop it's own thought patterns, or even have one go rogue, as Laumer did in his original series.

Just thought I'd throw those ideas out there for possible consideration.

Happy Hunting.

Kafen

First Post
I think others have given good ideas about systems to employ, though when it came to sci-fi about AI then I made up my own game.

But I do have a couple of ideas concerning BOLOs. I have a BOLO in one of my games, the original stories by Laumer were some of my favorite sci-fi books as a young fella. Anywho I suggest you read his original series of books assuming you haven't already.

So here are some ideas about how you could involve the BOLO in the game without necessarily getting the tank into battle. As you know the BOLO has a huge internal AI system which is very heroic and knightly in most cases. Self-sacrificial too.

In my game there are things called IA, which are the reverse of AI, in the fact that they are artifacts which are intelligent in some way or capacity. Some are alien, some are of unknown origins. Some can house AI , so that the AI of a BOLO can be more or less easily transported around outside the hull of the tank.

Other corporations have built cyborgs and androids which can effectively either house large parts of the AI of a BOLO, or can at least link to the AI of a BOLO so as to act like a controlling parallel connection link, in effect giving the BOLO a humanoid body by which it can directly interact with humans and aliens at their level of size and function. (Think of the BOLO as a Knight, in tank form he is like a super Mounted Knight, in these smaller and independently functioning bodies he is like a dismounted soldier or even an agent. This allows the BOLO to act as both Mounted War-Knight and Stealthy Agent - often those he encounters in these smaller bodies are unaware he is in fact a BOLO AI.) This also allows the BOLO to scout out small areas, to conduct reconnaissance, and to infiltrate various areas used by enemies, etc. You might think of these bodies as sort of like a drone (or like a UAV, only land based) of the AI consciousness of the BOLO.

I've also equipped the BOLOs in my game with detachable, multi-functional scouts of various kinds, aerial, marine, and ground based, for various operations. This allows the BOLO to construct operations in areas it could not normally reach, and therefore to remain active and directing or controlling affairs even in environments in which it is operationally restricted. Anywho, if you were interested din making the BOLO a player, then it could engage in operations or perhaps even adventure with the team/party through such proxy means, artifacts, and devices.

Also I've had aliens assume control of BOLO AI, and the various sub-components of a BOLO system, such as AI body housings, and drone systems.

Then again you could have a BOLO develop it's own thought patterns, or even have one go rogue, as Laumer did in his original series.

Just thought I'd throw those ideas out there for possible consideration.

Happy Hunting.

Le sigh - time outs on forum posts suck. Okay, take two!

Sorry about the delay, I am drowning in work. But, I read the early Bolo books in high school during my senior year. I was a die hard fan of sci-fi by that time. I enjoyed them. So, yeah - I can enjoy the angle you are taking with the knight theme. I imagine that the campaign will go that route for myself.

The AI/IA Bolo system you describe is actually food for thought at the moment. I can see the Bolo entity moving from housing to housing which would give me "modular" NPC interaction stat-wise for the Bolo. Hmm... I hesitate to describe it as an easy button, but it could solve some power creep concerns of mine.

J

Remove ads