• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bolstering Strike abuse - infinate temporary hitpoints??

mmarell

First Post
So I'm looking at Bolstering Strike: an At Will power and on Striking it allows you to gain temporary HP equal to your Wis Modifier.

Can anyone explain to me, why a Paladin can't just beat a fighter with Boundless endurance until they have 92,437 HP or two Paladins simply beating on each other to gain power? They aren't exactly bound to Lawful Good anymore.

Hell one could go around beating on squirrels or banging rocks until they were over 9,000!

Is there anything to stop an evil Paladin and leveling an entire town, only to end up 100 times as strong as it started.

This goes the same for an infernal pact warlock or a priest and Sacred Flame.

Step 1: Kill the town.
Step 2: ???? (Infinite hp)
Step 3: Profit.

Am I missing something here or is there just a level 1 At Will ability begging for someone to exploit it?

Sure it only lasts for a day but let me at that dragon...

(Something to stop them except for a DM sending a horde of angry druids at the squirrel haters.)

Last edited:

mmarell

First Post
Ok thanks, about to start DMing my first game of 4th ED and didn't want to go into that blatant headache, I run with too many power-gamers.

MatrexsVigil

First Post
mmarell said:
So theres a max limit to the amount of temporary hit points you can have?

Only the largest amount of temporary hit points apply at any one time. So, the paladin gets 4 temp HP from his Wis mod but then the cleric comes over and gives him 8 temp HP. He'd only have 8 temp HP, as that is the largest number. Temp HPs don't stack.

-P.C.

Not as such. Temporary hit points don't add up. If you've got 10 temp hp and use a power that gives you 4, you keep the 10. If you have 3 temp hp and the power give you 4 you now have 4.

{edit} whoops, beat to the punch.

Byronic

First Post
It's quite simple, as I understand it.

Temporary hitpoints don't stack.

If you used an ability and got 5 temporary hitpoints, and you already had 6 then you will still have 6

If you used an ability and got 5 temporary hitpoints and you already had 3 then you will have 5 now.

The Paladin ability is a very good one though. It provides a cushion for himself

edit: ninja'd

Don't forget that Temp hitpoints only last until your next rest (whether short or extended) and you have to activate abilities (whether those strikes, the Infernal Warlocks ability etc) using threatening creatures. Unless your level -2 squirrels and rocks don't do it.

Last edited:

Ravingdork

Explorer
It is also worth noting that powers with beneficial side effects don't work unless you are beating up on a genuinely threatening enemy. For example, you CAN'T use a power that says "you can spend a healing surge upon a successful attack," by attacking a bag full of defenseless rats you just so happened to bring along.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads