• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bolstering Strike abuse - infinate temporary hitpoints??

mmarell

First Post
Mage 1: Thats where I keep me women. I like them knowing their place.

Mage 2: So thats where the mage hand came from!!!

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
mmarell said:
You guys are so helpful I really appreciate it. Any reason why Tensors floating disk can't be used as cover or concealment? >>;

Nope, no reason. It makes a handy firing platform for a Rogue.

moritheil

First Post
I recall an issue with 3.x stacking where even though False Life didn't stack with itself, it still overlapped, and thus you could cast it twice to get, say, +10 temp hit points and then +8 hit points. After you got hit once (let's say for more than 10 damage) your other +8 hit points would still be good assuming the duration hadn't run out.

From the tone of the other posters, I assume they've explicitly stated this doesn't work in 4E.

moritheil said:
I recall an issue with 3.x stacking where even though False Life didn't stack with itself, it still overlapped, and thus you could cast it twice to get, say, +10 temp hit points and then +8 hit points. After you got hit once (let's say for more than 10 damage) your other +8 hit points would still be good assuming the duration hadn't run out.

From the tone of the other posters, I assume they've explicitly stated this doesn't work in 4E.

I don't know thats is explicitly stated in 4E or not, but I think that whole overlapping thing really only works for duration/dispelling. Like if your 10 temp hit points run out of time your other 8 stay there. If your being beat on by an orc both sets of temporary hitpoints get used up simultaneously.

mmarell

First Post
This is true, for 3.5 and 2nd ed as far as I'm aware of. Temporary hit points could stack. But there was no way to use Vampiric touch 9,000 times per day. And yes you could use it on a rat, but now you''ve just wasted a 3rd level spell - IE Fireball/Polymorph/Fly etc. So go ahead and drain a rat, oh and I believe you could only gain as many hit points as something had left.

Thats why I thought it was so exploitive, especially after seeing that Warlocks gain it after each kill and the +1s to a roll stacks. (Something that would never happen in 2nd or 3rd.) *Cough buffs of the same type didn't stack.* But the fact that the +1s ends next round make it not game breaking, you might not even be in range.

Hussar

Legend
mmarell said:
This is true, for 3.5 and 2nd ed as far as I'm aware of. Temporary hit points could stack. But there was no way to use Vampiric touch 9,000 times per day. And yes you could use it on a rat, but now you''ve just wasted a 3rd level spell - IE Fireball/Polymorph/Fly etc. So go ahead and drain a rat, oh and I believe you could only gain as many hit points as something had left.

Thats why I thought it was so exploitive, especially after seeing that Warlocks gain it after each kill and the +1s to a roll stacks. (Something that would never happen in 2nd or 3rd.) *Cough buffs of the same type didn't stack.* But the fact that the +1s ends next round make it not game breaking, you might not even be in range.

In the interests of fairness, that won't work in 3e either. Temporary hit points from the same source don't stack. So, multiple castings of Vampiric Touch, or Death Knell don't stack, they overlap.

And, no, that doesn't mean that you go through the hit points of one spell first and then the next. That would mean that they stack. If you get 8 hp's from the first spell, 10 hp's from the second spell and you take 11 points of damage, you lose 10 temp hp's and one "real" hit point.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
moritheil said:
I recall an issue with 3.x stacking where even though False Life didn't stack with itself, it still overlapped, and thus you could cast it twice to get, say, +10 temp hit points and then +8 hit points. After you got hit once (let's say for more than 10 damage) your other +8 hit points would still be good assuming the duration hadn't run out./QUOTE] That's stacking. If they overlapped, you'd only get the benefit of the higher one.

As Rith says, you may lose the higher effect to something that targets the duration rather than the hit points (such as a dispel magic) before you take a hit, but there's no way to benefit from the 8 temp. hit points after suffering 10 points worth of damage -- they're both already gone.

Cheers, -- N

On Puget Sound

First Post
mmarell said:
You guys are so helpful I really appreciate it. Any reason why Tensors floating disk can't be used as cover or concealment? >>;

It's in an awkward position for it, and it woud move every time the caster does, but I suppose you could. I was thinking of filling it with something dangerous (acid, lava, etc) and using forced movement to drag enemies into it, or have it follow the eladrin as he teleports in such a way as to drag it into enemies. It's a good Little Red Wagon for a halfling melee character to get into a fight quickly: wizard double moves for 12, towing the halfling, then halfling double moves for 10 more.

Edit: no, it only moves your speed once per round unless you spend move actions to command it to move... and then you aren't moving yourself.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads