• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bonedust and Clingfire

Kisanji Arael

First Post
This is mostly for those who have read Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series. If you remember, in their dark era (Age of Chaos maybe?), they came up with some ridiculous methods of warfare, coming close in potency to our own atomic bomb, The two best known of these were clingfire and bonedust (obviously I'd rename them for my purposes). How would you go about making these in the world of D&D? As a reminder,

Where Clingfire touched people, it then burned down slowly through their skin to the bone and then the rest of the body. If you were hit by it, you had to lose the arm or leg that got hit. Obviously in D&D there would be slightly more options, since you can... oh, I don't know... regrow arms or legs.

By contrast, Bonedust (if memory serves) was a long-term effect. In ancient Rome, salt was poured on the fields of Carthage to keep them from growing again. This was the same idea, except that instead of such a mundane effect, bonedust: killed all life on the fields it hit; spread out over the land with incredible efficiency; irradiated the land for (maybe?) a century; gave radiation poisoning to anyone who walked on the land to the point that they might cough up blood... you get the point.

How would you make these in D&D? Also, since it has been so long since I read them, if you need to correct me on any points, I'll gladly edit this.

I'm not an evil DM for thinking about this, am I?

Cabral

First Post
Since I haven't read the books, take this with a grain of salt, ... okay that was a bit obvious. ;)

Anyway, for clingfire, it could deal 1d6 damage per round to affected creature unless the creature removes a limb. (roll 1d20: 1-4 Right Leg; 5-8 Left Leg; 9-12 Right Arm; 13-16 Left arm; 17-20 head/vitals, fetch a matchbox and a minister) Every 1d4 rounds the fire spreads to another limb. The fire can't be put out unless remove curse or break enchantment is cast first. Immunity or resistance to fire doesn't prevent someone from catching on fire, but it may prevent or mitigate the damage. This is probably fairly wimpy compared to the book ...

Now for bonedust, most of the effexts sound like GM hand waving (no save ;)) but the coughing blood should be a disease with a Fortitude save... How about Bonedust (after effects) Infection: Contact DC: 25 (or higher) Damage: 1d4 Con drain (possibly and Str and Dex)

Just some thoughts based on your description.

Remove ads