• Bonus Action

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Immediate Action

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Well, it depends ...

Votes: 22 53.7%

neogod22

Explorer
It totally depends on who you are, so the question is of no real use...

for example everyone can use a Reaction to take an Opportunity Attack (given certain circumstances), and everyone can use a bonus action to take an off-hand attack (assuming they have the right weapons in hand)
but not all Classes can take a Bonus Action to do something really powerful, and only very few things can use a Reaction to do something really powerful.

It's like saying "which is better - fruit or meat?", you are trying to compare two very different types of food.
I said this on page 1.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Xeviat

Hero
See, there's some interesting statements here. Reaction abilities tend to be really potent. Bonus action abilities seem to be a little weaker. Reactions often can't be wasted because they react to their trigger (though Shield's trigger could have been "when you are the target of an attack" instead of when you are hit). But +5 AC for one round as a Bonus action seems like it would be weaker than Shield if it were a 1st level spell.

On the flip side, a bonus action attack vs a reaction attack favors the bonus action. The reaction is likely to deal more damage at equivalent levels, otherwise it won't seem as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neogod22

Explorer
The funny thing about this thread is you guys are arguing strength and weakness basing the strength of a reaction solely off of one spell. What's even funnier is that for non-wizards your arguments are void. Also there is no point in this, because you never have to make a choice between taking a bonus action or reaction. Yet you all still continue.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The funny thing about this thread is you guys are arguing strength and weakness basing the strength of a reaction solely off of one spell. What's even funnier is that for non-wizards your arguments are void. Also there is no point in this, because you never have to make a choice between taking a bonus action or reaction. Yet you all still continue.

The funny thing is, you think this is a waste of time and feel the need to keep commenting. If you aren't contributing to the thread then why do you keep posting?

FarBeyondC

Explorer
Personally, I find reactions in general to be more valuable than bonus actions, simply because they are not limited to merely your own turn.

Why are you posting in a thread you know has no point? Why waste your time?

Yes ... I'm aware of the limitations of the various actions. So would a shield spell that used a bonus action be weaker than the shield spell or equal to the shield spell?

Bonus actions are much more common than reactions, however, it really depends on the effect and, for the reaction, the trigger.

Shield would be far weaker as a bonus action. You might cast the spell and expend the spell slot and nobody attacks you, or your opponents might elect to use attacks that don't target your AC. With a reaction, it always affects at least one attack.

Misty step on the other hand, is very good as a bonus action. It allows faster movement, movement through obstacles, etc. The effect has some significant in-combat and out-of-combat utility. Compare that to the Fey Warlock's Misty Escape, which is similar to misty step but has the trigger "when you take damage." That's a significant impediment to using the effect as a utility, especially if your DM doesn't allow the obvious step of stabbing yourself to trigger it.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
My issue is that while there are just... so many ways you can use a bonus action (even featless, non-TWF champion fighters have options to use either tumble or overrun as a bonus action if you go by the optional rules in the DMG), outside of a couple of specific circumstances reactions are under utilized. I personally think each class should have some specific, unique way of using reactions. In my experience, outside or shield and counterspell, even AoO are pretty rare. It is an aspect of the action economy that is yet left untapped in 5e. And personally, while it could complicate the game a bit, I think the key to making a more dynamic and engaging battle is not with a new initiative system, but rather finding ways to increase the regularity with which reactions are used.

Remove ads