• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bonus for Holding the High Ground?

Stoat

Adventurer
Am I correct that by RAW 4E does not include any bonus for combatants holding the high ground?

In previous editions, you could get a +1 to attack by standing on higher ground than your target, but I don't see that anywhere in the PHB.

Webby140

First Post
In the DM manual there's reference to something like 'By a quick rule of thumb if there's a situation where a character would have a bonus use a +2 to the roll, if they're impaired in some way use a -2"
I'd say DM discretion... or impliment a house rule of +1 or +2. I'd only use this is extreme circumstances, possibly only ranged with higher ground of 5ft or more (1 square in height.)

mattador

First Post
Whatever you do don't use the Star Wars d20 Revenge of the Sith rule... "if you hold the higher ground you can cut off both your opponents legs as an immediate interrupt..."

Stoat

Adventurer
In the DM manual there's reference to something like 'By a quick rule of thumb if there's a situation where a character would have a bonus use a +2 to the roll, if they're impaired in some way use a -2"
I'd say DM discretion... or impliment a house rule of +1 or +2. I'd only use this is extreme circumstances, possibly only ranged with higher ground of 5ft or more (1 square in height.)

Could I ask why only in extreme circumstances? It seems to me like a small bonus for jumping on a table or whatever would encourage movement and might open up a few more interesting tactical choices in combat. Do you foresee any horrible consequences?

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
It's not in the PHB, but I still use the old rule.

Me too. Hit bonuses are rarer in 4E from situations, but I think that Defenses (especially AC) is often high enough that "swing and a miss" is too often the case. Therefore, I give situational modifiers like this, and after several sessions of running it at +1, I've decided I like it so much that a +2 is the way we'll go.

I'm sick of seeing my players miss with their Dailies ~40% or more of the time. We're not optimizers, so maybe that's part of the problem, but even so, I like seeing my players succeed (and knowing that my monsters will also succeed more often, too :devil:

Webby140

First Post
Could I ask why only in extreme circumstances? It seems to me like a small bonus for jumping on a table or whatever would encourage movement and might open up a few more interesting tactical choices in combat. Do you foresee any horrible consequences?
No horrible consequences... just I don't see any particular advantage in the mechanics for it happening all the time.
I think it's just a personal thing, it tends to be that when I give my players an inch, they take a mile, and will ask for it all the time.

Stuff like jumping on a table, or on some stairs is great... but when I have to start drawing the contours of the road or outdoor area the PCs are fighting in is when it could get tiresome.

DracoSuave

First Post
The way I do higher ground is a bit more natural. Higher ground has a chance of reducing total cover to simply cover, while providing cover to the higher person.

You know, the -actual- advantage to higher ground.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
The way I do higher ground is a bit more natural. Higher ground has a chance of reducing total cover to simply cover, while providing cover to the higher person.

You know, the -actual- advantage to higher ground.

Makes complete sense. Why haven't I heard this idea before?

Consider it yoinked!

Remove ads