• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of Exalted Deeds PrC question

Dimwhit

Explorer
Nifft said:
... but then, WotC's editing quality borders on pure speculation these days, so I wouldn't put the chapter's "flavor text" ahead of one PrC's explicit "rules text"... not until the Errata is released, and perhaps not even then.

-- N
Which pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. Herremann does make some good points, though.

I wish I could remember Darrin's ID here. I'd be tempted to PM him and ask his thoughts. He did help write this book.

Nightingale 7

First Post
Is there a ruling that says that,in order to become exalted you must have an exalted feat?I always thought of Exalted status as a "soft" template aqcuired by your character when he is behaving at the absolute best of a good alignment.
In that regard an Annointed Knight doesn't need to take a single exalted feat to retain his "exaltedness".He just has to conduct himself in such a way that would put paladins to shame. ;)

Dimwhit

Explorer
Nightingale 7 said:
Is there a ruling that says that,in order to become exalted you must have an exalted feat?I always thought of Exalted status as a "soft" template aqcuired by your character when he is behaving at the absolute best of a good alignment.
In that regard an Annointed Knight doesn't need to take a single exalted feat to retain his "exaltedness".He just has to conduct himself in such a way that would put paladins to shame. ;)

Depends on what you call a rule. :) The PrCs in the BoED require an exalted feat to take (with the exception of the one we're discussing). All charaters with an exalted feat actually radiate an aura of good that your typical good person doesn't. Plus, if you committ an evil act, you lose the benefit of the feat and PrC. You also can't technically take an exalted feat unless you God gives it to you. So I think that, yes, there is a rule to becoming "exalted." It's different than just being really good.

But I'm hoping to not have an "exalted" character with the AK, but just to have a character who would "put paladins to shame." :) Not that it really matters. I'm just kind of weird is all.

Nightingale 7

First Post
Hmmm,I see where you're coming from.It is kind of an unspoken rule...
So you don't want an exalted character,simply a good one.I don't know...From a strict,mechanical point of view,the AK isn't a 100% Exalted.On the other side you've got the introduction to the chapter that states all PrCs are Exalted.Also,the whole...feel of the class seems Exalted to me.If that turns you off a bit,a suitable replacement would be a LG Kensai.
See?You can play a valiant knight,bonded with his weapon without losing all the PrC's bonuses because of a...lapse of judgement. :]

moritheil

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Combat Expertise is on the Fighter's bonus feat list.

Does that mean anyone with Int less than 13 cannot be a Fighter?

-Hyp.

Hm, while it's not what he said, I think he intended to suggest that they cannot benefit from Exalted feats that are gained from the PrC if they are not Exalted. I do not recall, offhand, if this is correct.

Remove ads