• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Book of Nine Swords] Maneuver Prerequisites and Swapping

Timeboxer

Explorer
Forgive me if the book actually covers this somewhere and I've missed it, but.

Basically, I have been trying to understand the Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, and I figured the best way to do this was to make a character from Levels 1 through 20.

So apparently some maneuvers have a prerequisite of some number of maneuvers from the same school/way/methodology/style/discipline to learn. However, you can also swap maneuvers at every other level. So the question is, if you lose a maneuver from a given discipline, and this leads you to dip below the prerequisite for a certain maneuver, does that maneuver become inaccessible?

The argument for inaccessibleness seems like it would be something like: Well, in all other instances in D&D losing prerequisites means you lose access to the derivative ability. So, yes, you do lose access to it. This prevents silly situations like having a maneuver require three of a certain discipline and then replacing one of those discipline maneuvers.

Whereas the argument against is: Well, by the RAW, it seems like you need the prereqs to learn a maneuver, not to perform it. Plus, it prevents maneuver-swapping from being terribly complicated.

Any light that can be shed on this would be appreciated.

Egres

First Post
Amy Kou'ai said:
So apparently some maneuvers have a prerequisite of some number of maneuvers from the same school/way/methodology/style/discipline to learn. However, you can also swap maneuvers at every other level. So the question is, if you lose a maneuver from a given discipline, and this leads you to dip below the prerequisite for a certain maneuver, does that maneuver become inaccessible?
I don't think you can lose the prerequisite for another manouver, since you must abide to the same discipline when you swap your maneuver.

Egres

First Post
Sithobi1 said:
Where did you get THAT from? I haven't seen that anywhere...
Nowhere, it was a mistake.

The right answer is here, taken from a CestServ reply:

Q All of the new base classes from Tome of Battle offer the option of swapping out an old maneuver to gain a new maneuver at certain levels.
What happens if, as a result of swapping out an old maneuver, I can no longer meet the pre-requisites for another stance or maneuver that I currently know? Suppose, for instance, that I currently only have the following 2 maneuvers/stances from the Iron Heart discipline: A) Absolute Steel, and B) Disarming Strike. Absolute Steel is a stance that has one Iron Heart maneuver as a pre-requisite. Disarming Strike currently fulfills that pre-requisite for me. Suppose I reach 4th level and decide to swap out Disarming Strike for another maneuver from a different discipline. I no longer meet the pre-requisites for the Absolute Steel stance. Am I still allowed to use the Absolute Steel stance? What if Absolute Steel were a maneuver instead of a stance; would I be allowed to use it?

A Going with a strict interpretation of the rules, you would only need to have the appropriate number of maneuvers to meet a prerequisite when you needed to learn the maneuver, not if you wanted to use that maneuver later. So the character in question would still be able to use the Absolute Steel stance even though you have given up your only Iron Heart maneuver. So again, you only have to meet the prerequisites when you learn the maneuver or stance, not when you want to use ready or use it. I hope that clears things up.

Remove ads