• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of NineSwords

Belbarid

First Post
Since this has probably been done to death, simply posting a link would be great, but on the offchance...

I'm not normally one to complain about rules/classes/spells/etc being "broken" (with the exception of Scorching Ray), but the Sublime Path classes in Bo9S seem so overpowering to me, especially the Warblade, which is largely a fighter with Maneuvers.

Now, normally this isn't a problem to me, as I'm practically the patron deity of "I don't like that book, so I'm ignoring it", but I like the ideas in the Bo9S. I like the idea of the centered Ki-Warrior, but I look at these classes and they seem *so* much more powerful than anything else.

What are your experiences? Thoughts? Derisive Laughter?

Having seen the warblade and crusader in play, I have to say that they're not nearly as "overpowered" as they seem on first glance. Yes, they're somewhat more potent than the core fighter in many respects*, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's important to remember that the vast majority of strikes, and many of the other maneuvers, require a standard action to use. Thus, there will be many occasions where the warblade and crusader are doing more damage per attack, but aren't getting multiple attacks where the fighter and barbarian are.

*(Note that I said "core fighter." Once you allow some of the newer martial feats, such as those found in PHB2, the fighter ratchets up the combat ability and damage output. For all that people complain about the fighter being underpowered, I have never seen anyone deal out as much damage as a high-level fighter with the right feat choices.)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Belbarid said:
What are your experiences?
They're just as potent as a Barbarian (but more varied, and thus IMHO more fun).

Two things to fix: White Raven Tactics (used on self) and Iron Heart Surge (used on ongoing area spells). Otherwise, a mostly bug-free book.

Cheers, -- N

Drowbane

First Post
Give it some play and see what you think. From my experience, the Barbarian and/or Fighter can still hold his own against a Warblade and/or Swordsage (yet to see a Crusader in action) with regards to damage output. The Bo9S classes have the advantage of "cool powers".

That said, there are a few maneuvers that are perhaps OPed... but no book to date has been released without some sort of OPed content. YMMV. :p

~edit~
Mouseferatu said:

Nifft said:

Scooped by the Bat and the Penguin :p

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Warblades are like barbarians, crusaders are like fighters, and swordsages are like monks.

Edit: And they're all damn cool. Btw, White Raven Tactics is the only thing in the book that is banned in our games.

Erywin

First Post
I agree with Mouse, they definitely change the game but if you are allowing Bo9S then your core fighter should be allowed some new books as well :) My thoughts are that the Warblade is better compared to a Barbarian than a fighter and the crusader closer fits a paladin or fighter. All in all I love the classes and with only the note of WRT and IHS, they are balanced along with most of the other books WoTC has put out.

Cheers,
E

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Belbarid said:
Since this has probably been done to death, simply posting a link would be great, but on the offchance...

I'm not normally one to complain about rules/classes/spells/etc being "broken" (with the exception of Scorching Ray), but the Sublime Path classes in Bo9S seem so overpowering to me, especially the Warblade, which is largely a fighter with Maneuvers.

Now, normally this isn't a problem to me, as I'm practically the patron deity of "I don't like that book, so I'm ignoring it", but I like the ideas in the Bo9S. I like the idea of the centered Ki-Warrior, but I look at these classes and they seem *so* much more powerful than anything else.

What are your experiences? Thoughts? Derisive Laughter?

The warblade is not overpowered when compared to a a wizard, druid or cleric. A fighter with access to additional books (PHB II as mentioned above is a good one) can also keep up easily (though not be as varied which may be less fun).

jasin

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
*(Note that I said "core fighter." Once you allow some of the newer martial feats, such as those found in PHB2, the fighter ratchets up the combat ability and damage output.
While the PHB has all sorts of fighter goodies (three attacks on a Spring Attack! :D) if I were playing a fighter in a group with a warblade and a cleric and a druid and I could pick just two PHB feats, I'd take Steadfast Determination (Con instead of Wis to Will) and Indomitable Soul (reroll Will saves vs. fear and mind-affecting).

For all that people complain about the fighter being underpowered, I have never seen anyone deal out as much damage as a high-level fighter with the right feat choices.)
Well, paladins can get pretty insane...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads