• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of NPCs 2.0

Paul Strack

First Post
UPDATE: Version 2.0 now complete with all PH2 classes!

Now that the Player's Handbook 2 has been out for a while, I am working on NPCs again. I considered doing a sequel to my Book of NPCs, but decided that it was much better to have all the NPCs in one book. Therefore, I am doing an upgrade rather than a sequel, adding the PHB2 classes to the PHB1 classes for one big download.

As I did with the Book of NPCs 1.0, I will make several passes to add the NPCs. The current version (2.0) has all the Players Handbook 1 & 2 classes plus all the races from Players Handbook 1 & 2 and the Monster Manual, for levels 1-30.

Downloads - D&D 4th Edition - Book of NPCs - EN World D&D / RPG News

Because there are no official rules for PHB2 NPCs yet, I had to make some educated guesses for what roles and features to use for these NPCs. Here is what I am currently going with:

• Avenger NPC: Skirmisher; Armor of Faith, oath of enmity
  • Barbarian NPC: Brute; Barbarian Agility, Feral Might
  • Bard NPC: Controller (Leader); Bardic Virtue, majestic word, Skill Versatility
  • Druid NPC: Controller; Balance of Nature (one beast at-will, one non-beast), Primal Aspect, wild shape
  • Invoker: Artillery; Divine Covenant
  • Shaman NPC: Controller (Leader); Companion Spirit (which determines the shaman’s at-will), healing spirit
  • Sorcerer NPC (Dragon Magic): Artillery; Draconic Power, Draconic Resilience
  • Sorcerer NPC (Wild Magic): Skirmisher; Chaos Power, Unfettered Power
  • Warden NPC: Brute; Font of Life, Nature’s Wrath (one of Warden’s Fury or Warden’s Grasp)
I made barbarians and wardens into brutes. For barbarians, it makes sense because they are high-damage, low defense. Surprisingly, wardens are not sure a good fight, but I did it anyway since wardens are supposed to have more hit points.

As usual, any feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: Version 2.0! All PHB2 classes included!

Last edited:

conanb

First Post
My only comment would be to let us know which ones are At Will, Encounter, and Daily Powers. Other than that it's fantastic work! You've made my sandbox games so much easier to run.

EDIT: Nevermind I see where you indicate on the powers. My mistake they are excellent!

Terramotus

First Post
That would make you my hero. Your first book of NPCs is the single greatest supplement I've found as a DM for 4E, including the 4E DMG. I eagerly await the results.

I do like the idea of Wardens as brutes as well, since there aren't any other "NPCs" that fill that role. Do you have any plans to include the PHB2 races?

Last edited:

I would almost be more tempted to call the Barbarian a brute than the Warden. Barbs can dish out large pulses of damage, much like a brute, and they are also generally rather more short on defenses, again like a brute. Admittedly they are also generally REALLY mobile, but nothing really says that brutes can't have mobility.

Great work Paul, thanks. Saved me quite a bit of perl scripting ;)

Paul Strack

First Post
Book of NPCs 2.0-beta2 is done (bards and druids)

Book of NPCs 2.0-beta2 is done and uploaded. This version adds bards and druids.

Some responses to earlier questions.

Do you have any plans to include the PHB2 races?

All the PHB2 races are already included. There were only five, so that's the first thing I did.

I would almost be more tempted to call the Barbarian a brute than the Warden. Barbs can dish out large pulses of damage, much like a brute, and they are also generally rather more short on defenses, again like a brute. Admittedly they are also generally REALLY mobile, but nothing really says that brutes can't have mobility.

I agree with you. I tried out some barbarian NPCs in my last game, and they were very much glass cannons (and tons of fun). When I am finalizing version 2.0, I will see if it makes sense to make Barbarians brutes as well as Wardens.

Paul Strack

First Post
Book of NPCs 2.0-beta-3 is done (invokers and shamans)

I added invokers and shamans to beta-3. Life interfered, so it took longer than I expected. I am in the home stretch, though, with just sorcerers and wardens to go.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads