Book of the Dead - Monster Manual by Mesh Hong

Mesh Hong

First Post
The first monster I looked at (Fey Spirit): An at-will area affect power that restrains is too powerful, imo. It'd be much more palatable as a rechargable power.

Yes the Fey Spirit is quite annoying, I can see what you mean about its Psychic Lock power it is very strong against melee.

One of my design philosophies is to create monsters that require different approaches to destroy. The Fey Spirit is a creature that has a powerful area of control up to about 5 squares, but is slow moving. Ranged powers will be consistantly more effective than attempts to melee the creature so a group facing them should adapt their tactics accordingly.

Also while it has some strong control effects its damage is on the low side which reduces its threat level somewhat.

Also Restrained is not really that much more danagerous than immobilised, it has the added effect of giving the target a -2 to attack, making them grant combat advantage and prevents them from being push,pulled or slid.

Having said all that you could change Psychic Lock to a recharge :5::6: power, if you did this I would recommend upgrading the damage to either 2d6+4 or 2d8+4. The problem with the creature then would be that its only at will would be pittifully weak and the creature would not have as much character. (I know, a highly subjective term)

I hope you do another one of these soon, Mesh Hong. I want to see a compilation of your Slime Beetle/Digester Beetles, and those aberrations you posted over in the Undead thread, in addition to anything else you've made.

I have started work on my next project; "The Book of Distant Stars" which will contain heroic level aberations. Though it could be a while until I have it ready for release.

Anyway thanks for the feedback, I will have a bit more of a think about the Fey Spirit and see if I can come up with a better design.

Mesh Hong

First Post
Wow, I wasn't expecting so many downloads, thank you. :cool:

It might be nice if some of those that downloaded it gave some feedback on its usefulness or relevance to their own games so that I could address any issues in future releases and produce a product that would better serve the community.

DanmarLOK

First Post
I've read through it and overall I have to say it's extremely well done. With a few very minor "hmm would I have done that?" I would use them all as is. I like the flavor of virtually of the undead-o's.

The included 'delve' was a nice bonus and seems quite playable.

While for some groups undead are over done, I can easily find places to use these guys with my own players and I think they'll find them all quite entertaining to go up against.

Sporemine

First Post
Hi mesh.

Is this based on my undead thread?
If so kudos for the work involved - you were the main contributor.

Looking at names and stats, good job. One thing that would be good for all of 4e (not just this) is more flavour text. You need it to give a good description. Other than that, good job.

Continue the good work. If you're interested in kobolds, swing by my new thread; http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/256790-kobolds-lifes-little-failures.html. It's for my new campagain.

Im looking for kobolds that don't fail. Have you ever heard of Meepo? If no google him. We need that kind of surprise in 4e.

Once again, kudos for the hard work, I hope to see more from you in the future.

Kudos

-Sporemine

Last edited:

bmadden

First Post
Lovely Book!
The breadth of creature modes of operation will really help me make my party's visit to the Shadowfell memorable!
Ben

Mesh Hong

First Post
Thanks for the positive feedback.

DanmarLOK: I would appreciate any of your criticisms, no matter how trivial, as constructive feedback will go to improve future creations. The main issue when designing creatures for other people to use is to make the powers crystal clear, if some of my wording could be improved please point it out.

Mesh Hong

First Post
I used Asmors monster maker to save as HTML, then copied and pasted into a word document, did some editing then used PDF995 to "print" as a PDF.

It's a little bit convoluted, but it works.

Jindy

First Post
Thanks for the undead monster manual. I'm currently working on an adventure requiring a lot of undead and was starting to run out of options from official sources. This will be a big help.

I also like the island side adventure you've built in and I think I can use it.

If I come up with any questions/concerns/comments once I start putting the monsters into my adventure, I'll be sure and let you know. I'll also try to post something after I've run them here.

Thanks!

Remove ads