• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of the Righteous-- help me stick with it...

Voadam

Legend
I don't own it but I understand it goes in depth on each god, establishing stories, church doctrine, holidays, and holy warriors.

These individual ones might provide useful material to add to counterparts in your own campaign's pantheons, i.e. a sun god's info could be used to flesh out the church of Pelor, Apollo, Ra, Lathander, etc. If so figure out the correspondences then read those entries. If you are creating your own cosmology then read these individual entries with an eye to adding them whole cloth as a distinct element for your own homebrew pantheon.

The holy warrior class(es) might be applicable to champions of gods in your game.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
On first glance, I couldn't find the declarations of Open Content or Product Identity. :\
What about second glance? I *thought* one the of selling points of the book was it had an unprecedented amount of OGC, but I might have that totally wrong.

anithri

First Post
The Holy Warrior is a Core class and not a prestige class. There is a 3.5 update PDF on sale at greenronin.com for $4.00

If you don't use the mythology, you can still use almost all of the material for each god.
If you don't use the Pantheon, you can still use almost all of the material for each god.
If you don't use the gods, you can still mine material for individual gods.

There is an excellent set of stories, doctrines, myths, organizational details, all of which can be taken with or without everything else.

There is an interesting set of Prestige classes that can be used as is or mined for ideas.

There is a whole chapter about using the material, parts of the material, or ideas based on the material in your campaign.

The Great church can be left out of the mix if you don't want overarching religious organizations. Certainly several of the gods listed have wide spread united churches, but plenty of them do not. It would be straightforward to turn the ones who do into ones who don't.

IMHO, if you wish religion to play a real part in your campaign, BoR is an excellent resource.

The OGC declaration is on the Title page.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For me, its a bit of a workhorse.

I don't use the main portion of the book for anything but ideas. My main use for it is for designing Holy Warriors of different faiths, alignments and settings, and that's in the latter portion of the book.

IMHO, it does that task better than any other 3.X book I own.

I don't have the 3.5 pdf update- I don't buy pdfs as a rule- so I have had to rework some of the details to fit the way 3.5 altered the Paladin class structure and make the BotR versions conform with it.

And I still wouldn't trade it for anything.

Remove ads