• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of Vile Darkness is really unnecessary...

Nathanael

First Post
This is an answering thread to the 'Is D&D Evil' thread that's run on for 6+ pages.

As a Lutheran, I don't believe D&D is inherently evil, and I've explained why to my loved ones. At this point, they understand my arguments and have left it at that. Indeed, I haven't seen anywhere near the furor of the 80's. It's considered weird at worst.

This could all change by the fall, however, when WOTC releases the 'Book of Vile Darkness.' A 'mature' exploration of the themes of murder, rape, prostitution, etc.

Does this sound like a bad idea to anyone else or is it just me? Do we really need to 'explore' such profane concepts? Is this book just simply a way for WOTC to create 'controversy' that brings D&D into the media spotlight?

The fact is, I find the book concept particularly offensive. Why do we need rules for playing out such abhorrent subjects in games? And how is this supposed to help D&D grow? I didn't like the suspicious stares I got in the 80's when people heard I played RPGs and I don't look forward to having that kind of publicity focused on my hobby all over again.

Recently, the local game stores have been trying to promote understanding of RPGs and D&D in particular. They've advertised it as a potential family activity and encourage parents to play with their children. When this book comes out, that argument is going to fly right out the window, especially when the religious community, the sensationalist media, and media violence groups get hold of it. And believe me, the 'this is only an optional book, you don't have to use it' argument isn't going to work on them...

Crothian

First Post
There obviously is a market for this type of book or they wouldn't be publishing. I think White wolf has luck with there adult geared books, so perhaps they are are trying to apeal to that market.

Personally, as a Catholic, I've had very little problems with mixing religion and role playing. I've talked to many people who have had concerns about role playing and what it was but I've always been able to explain what it is and reassure people it is no more evil then monopoly. Sure, the book of Vile Darkness might look bad from those outside the industry, but it's still just part of the game. As long as the people playing are responsible there is no problem.

El_Gringo

First Post
Though it will cover such grim topics as murder, prostitution, etc., I highly doubt that will be the only things the book talks about. It's already been learned that it will contain new prestige classes, feats, etc. As for necessity, it's about as necessary as any other supplement out there (PsiHB, Epic-Level HB, Class Books).

Tsyr

Explorer
Well, first, I don't think the book is going to be near as morbid or (grin) vile as you are claiming. WotC isn't White Wolf (If you don't know the handful of White Wolf books I'm talking about, consider yourself blessed).

Second, as to WHY... well, it's the same reason we have Manual of the Planes, or the Psionics Handbook, or the Epic Level handbook, or Dieties and Demigods. Because the demand exists, at least according to WotC's marketing department, which I have to belive has at least some clue about what they are doing.

Samnell

Explorer
Monte has said there's no prostitution in it. I rather suspect the same is true for rape.

It's a sourcebook full of nasty goodies for evil cultist types and such. I think you're worried about nothing.

Lady Dragon

First Post
The Book of Vile Darkness is going to have the stats on the Fiendlords and therefore most D&D fans will buy it for that reason.

As for being a mark on D&D get real.The mainstream media has much bigger fish to fry such as Videogames and Rap Music to pay attention to a fictional book on evil for a game. The only intrest it will garner is from the same group that hounds them now.

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
Check out a book called Evil. That's basicly what the BoVD is.

Prestige classes, feats, spells, organizations, yes. But, it also has tips on how to make good villains, likely how to make a more gritty feeling, likely how to run a Lovecraftian style game without using CoC (Monte did work on this, so I bet there'll be stuff on how to freak out and worry your players), cults who draw divine power from fiend worshiping, and how to run a campaign with Evil characters.

Nothing that hasn't been done before (unlike the taglines), except that it will be done with likely more indepth. And, the only people who should really get a fire under their skirt would be people like Jack Chick. Of course, I imagine Deities and Demigods got him doing the same thing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lazybones

Adventurer
I admit, I've thought a lot of the same things Nathanael brought up in his post. I do acknowledge that it isn't going to be as "bad" as the title/concept outline would imply; after all, this is Hasbro/WotC we're talking about. Still, after the whole tanaari/baatezu thing, and the stigma still attached to D&D in many quarters (many of the players I know still refuse to admit they play in casual company), it seems like a needless risk.

Of course, this weekend I'm slated to play in an all-evil humanoids campaign set in Middle Earth, so maybe I can't talk.

All in all I like the way WotC took the "this game is for heroes, evil alignments are for villains" tack in the new game. I know there will always be those who prefer the darkside of the game, but I can't help but think that things like this new sourcebook only aid those who would like to see our hobby continue to be marginalized.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well consider this. Legions of Hell and now Armies of the Abyss BOTH deal with issues about things that Christians (myself included) talk and wonder about. Eternal Torment, death, undeath and other things. Are these books bad because they have ideas about things like disease and other horrible things that are mature in nature, like who do prostitutes pray to for help/guidance, or how do I justify having a demon worshipper when there's already gods in my campaign that handle some of this. It's these kinds of issues that I hope BoVD will handle in the same manner.

Btw, I just got my copies of Armies and Secret College. VERY, VERY good stuff! :) My only complaint, Secret College doesn't have any Pr-classes for Necromancers nor for Death Knights. That said, GREAT stuff! :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Lazy, while it may be a HEROES game, it up to the Dms and Gms out there to entertain as well as provide fascinating ways of keeping our players on their toes. While I don't think BoVD will be met with a lot of enthuiasm for those looking for new ways to improve their characters, I DO think this is needed by many Dms/Gms as tools to help accentuate game play and add "realism" to their worlds/games.

Remove ads