• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of Vile Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Gargoyle said:

What would be? A critic's review? Quality is subjective, not objective.

It is when it comes to art.

I think sales is a fine way to judge the fundemental quality of an author.

King has written some good books and some bad books, but he is definitly not horrible or boring- or else he would never sold a second book.

FD

Zappo

Explorer
Darkness said:
Still, sales numbers are not a good measurement of objective quality.
There are no good measuremebts of objective quality, because quality isn't objective.

Anyway, since he sells so much, and since most buyers are likely enjoying the books, it can be said that enjoying SK's books is normal and certainly not sick.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Zappo said:
There are no good measuremebts of objective quality, because quality isn't objective.

I can measure the objective quality of a sandwich, bookshelf, or car. ;)

FD

edit: Added smiley to make tone clear. :D

Last edited:

derverdammte

Explorer
Zappo said:
I don't like him too, but considering the sheer number of copies he sells, I think you can't say he's bad.
I don't think he's a bad writer. I'd say that even if I didn't like what he writes. Anyone who writes well enough to be published isn't a bad writer--they may be hacks, or they may have no talent, but they can at least turn out professional-quality prose. At least, that applies in most cases.

I really like Stephen King's definition of "talent," which, IIRC, went something like this:

If you write a story, then you send it to a professional editor and he buys your story, and you get a check, cash the check (and it doesn't bounce), and pay the light bill with the money, then you have talent.

Still, there are plenty of "talented" writers who write nothing but worthless crap. Troy Denning, for instance. I ran out of toilet paper, so I started keeping "Crucible" in the bathroom. I got a lot more out of the book that way.

Wolfspider

Explorer
derverdammte said:
Still, there are plenty of "talented" writers who write nothing but worthless crap. Troy Denning, for instance. I ran out of toilet paper, so I started keeping "Crucible" in the bathroom. I got a lot more out of the book that way.

:rolleyes:

I have no respect for someone who would even joke about treating ANY book in this manner.

Last edited:

kenjib

First Post
Furn_Darkside said:

Is Danielle Steele a better writer than Thomas Pynchon because she sells more books?

Is Steven King a better horror writer than H.P. Lovecraft?

...and since you brought sandwiches into the mix, does McDonalds objectively make the best hamburgers in the world?

derverdammte

Explorer
Wolfspider said:

:rolleyes:

I have no respect for someone who would even joke about treating ANY book in this manner.
Oh, come on. Just because it's printed on paper doesn't make it sacred. Did you have trouble with the people who used pages from the bible as rolling papers for party joints?

I think the absolute best response to a review came from a composer (I don't remember which one):

"Dear Sir,

I am writing you from the smallest room in my house. Your review is in front of me.

In a moment, it will be behind me.

Sincerely,

Etc."

Furn_Darkside

First Post
kenjib said:

Is Danielle Steele a better writer than Thomas Pynchon because she sells more books?

Is Steven King a better horror writer than H.P. Lovecraft?

...and since you brought sandwiches into the mix, does McDonalds objectively make the best hamburgers in the world?

Did I say sales was the only way to judge the quality of a writer?
Did I say sales was a way to compare writers?
Did I say sales was the only way to judge a sandwich?
Did I say sales was a way to compare sandwichs?

No, I said:

Let me break that down for you-

I think = My opinion
Sales = the amount of an item sold
fine = acceptable
fundemental = basic or elementary

So, class, what I have said is that: In my opinion it is acceptable to judge the basic quality of a writer by the amount of their books that have been sold.

Does that help clear up the matter? :)

FD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads