• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Book of Vile Evil - lich talk

animal chubs

First Post
Ok early when I started playing DnD 5e we all got some cool loot. one being a book of evil. (didn't have the dm manual at the time but me and the other DM, just resonantly, deemed "The Book of Vile Evil" as what this was after the DM manual came out. Anyway I read that this evil book gives the evil player the ability to be a lich. Since DnD 5e doesn't have anything about this topic I wanted to ask how this process would occur. Is this just given to the player? I mean in my mind once 80 hours was spent reading the book it would just suck the soul out of the evil player and thus actually be a phylactery. But what would the players stats be, spells ect... I have a lot of questions about this book. Any information would help thanks

----off-topic/on-topic-karma-check----:cool:
Before the Dm handhand book came out the book was going to give the player his own spell trees that he could get by giving the book xp (feeding the book) but that was put on hold because some of the players Fu**ing bi**hed to much saying its not in the rules. so now that there are things like this in the rules we're bring it back and a bunch of things each player was going to get. such a good day XD

Scorpio616

First Post
1. Players should only be privy to information they need to be privy to. The actions of those other players, who sound like their heads should be dunked in a privy, attest to this.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Lots of evil acts.

1) Contact with Orcus or some other evil creature of the undead. This can be rituals, names of low level daemons, etc. It is to make the dead, so they don't eat your soul. Should involve evil acts, like cold blooded murder.

2) Location - how to create a place for the process and how to prepare it. Should involve evil acts, like cold blooded murder.

3) Potions - Spells to get the body ready. Bath of blood and such. Should involve evil acts, like cold blooded murder.

4) Spells / Rituals - Could be items, you don't use a kitchen knife to become a lich. Should involve evil acts, like cold blooded murder.

5) Cast Spell - Become Lich - Should involve evil acts, like cold blooded murder.

animal chubs

First Post
Lots of evil acts.

1) Contact with Orcus or some other evil creature of the undead. This can be rituals, names of low level daemons, etc. It is to make the dead, so they don't eat your soul. Should involve evil acts, like cold blooded murder.

2) Location - how to create a place for the process and how to prepare it. Should involve evil acts, like cold blooded murder.

3) Potions - Spells to get the body ready. Bath of blood and such. Should involve evil acts, like cold blooded murder.

4) Spells / Rituals - Could be items, you don't use a kitchen knife to become a lich. Should involve evil acts, like cold blooded murder.

5) Cast Spell - Become Lich - Should involve evil acts, like cold blooded murder.

im starting to think it has something to do with cold blooded murder.

PnPgamer

Explorer
You should consider some discussion to your players what does it mean when dm goes to lengths of giving custom options to players. (I wouldnt argue about that it is not in the rules at that point)
I can also imagine the players side though. I think he..opened up with a wrong sentence. His pickering was most probably risen from the thought that he would lose xp. I also think that xp is a poor way to "buy" into lichdom or anything else(3e).
Nevertheless otherworldly patrons are a sure way to go. Or searching for traces of liches themselves might lead onto something.

Dausuul

Legend
Well, the lichification process described in the MM, while a bit vague, includes:

• Make a deal with a fiend, evil god, or other foul entity. Orcus is the usual candidate.
  • Prepare a phylactery.
  • Perform an arcane ritual.
  • Drink a potion made up of poison and the blood of a sentient creature whose soul you've sacrificed to the phylactery.
Also note that liches have to feed souls to their phylacteries periodically or devolve into demiliches.

Don't forget that, under the Lich and Demilich entries of the DMG, it talks about how liches need to constantly consume souls to retain their spellcasting might. And, to consume a soul, you need to cast a variation of Imprisonment, a level 9 spell, making all liches, at minimum, level 17+ wizards, warlocks, or bards.

Also note that liches have to feed souls to their phylacteries periodically or devolve into demiliches.

To be correct it's not instant. If they stop feeding souls to their Phylacteries their bodies start to decay over time. If they ignore the decay and still don't feed the souls their bodies errode comptely and leaving only the bit of their body that becomes the Demilich.

Remove ads