• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book Prices...

Scribble

First Post
Anyone good with economics/ inflation math?

Were the books back in the 1e/2e era pretty much the same cost as they are now (adjusted for inflation?)

Scribble

First Post
Well, according to this calculator a book costing $20 in 1979 would cost over $56 in 2007.

Wow... So for those of you who bought books back in the 1e era... did they seem expensive?

I know when I got stuff in the 2e era things didn't seem overly expensive... They seemed right on the cusp... I guess that was because they hadn't really raised the prices to meet inflation though huh?

Treebore

First Post
I thought $20 was expensive back in 1979, I still do.

I think how much that $20 is valued depends on how much a person values the work they did to earn that $20.

People still work 5 hours to take $20 home. Maybe 6 hours, depending on taxes, medical, etc...

So to take a $40 book home they may have had to work 12 hours or more to afford it.

So I still think it costs a lot, even at $20.

Walt C

Explorer
I don't remember my 1e books costing that much.

IIRC (and admittedly my recollection is sketchy), I paid $12 for most of the books, with the DMG being an exception at $15. Most modules were priced around $5-6 at the time.

These were 1982 prices.

Walt C

frankthedm

First Post
People still work 5 hours to take $20 home. Maybe 6 hours, depending on taxes, medical, etc...

So to take a $40 book home they may have had to work 12 hours or more to afford it.
:confused:If someone is making that little in the states, IMHO they really need to rethink buying a gaming book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads