• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book Recommendations

jester47

First Post
Other suggestions than what you have read:

Lord Dunsany: The King of Elfland's Daughter, The Book of Wonders
H.P. Lovecraft: (not really fantasy but...) Good collections:
The Dunwich horror and Others (Arkham House)
Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre (Del Ray)
The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories (Penguin Classics)
Are all good to start off on.
Robert E. Howard: Conan and Kull (beware Carter and DeCamp)
Peter S. Beagle: The Last Unicorn and Giant Bones
Fritz Leiber: Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser)
Shakespere: A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Tempest, MacBeth
Beowulf - we don't know who wrote it down. The Seamus Heany translation (known to anglo saxon scholars as Heanywolf) is probably the most readable version.

A note on Carter, DeCamp and Jordan:

I cannot fogive these guys for the literary gang bang that they brought onto the conan stories. Thus, I refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps when they die (if they are not dead already) I can take some of their more beloved characters and completely change them to be contrary to what was intended and try to make money off of them.

Things to avoid:

Robert Jordan: The Wheel of Time. Just what the title says, it takes time and it is a constant cycle that will not end until he is dead.

Mists of Avalon: She will say stufff several times so you dont miss it. Again she will tell you what is happening so you do not miss it. Usually it goes in threes, just so she can say what is happening agian just to be sure you do not miss it. This book would be a third of the size and much better if this lady did not repeat herself all the time. The story is not bad but you will be imagining the crowed from Montey Python's holy grail yelling "GET ON WITH IT" many a time. This book barely survived strange repetitive attractions to the nearest wall.

The stroy of King arthur redone for the umpteeth time. Stick to Mary Stewart, Pyle, T.H. White, and especially mallory.

One thing I would highly suggest. Read other genres. The fantasy folk don't think of everything. In fact more often then not they get into a big collective rut. One of these is arthuriana, another is epic imitation. Mysteries (especially the brother cadfael series) westerns, and just general literature. Fight club was a book before it was a movie. Ever read the things they carried? Check out. Hiroshima is a great account of what happens after an atomic bomb hits. Hemmingway is good too. Check out some of the stuff written by William S. Burroghs in the late 80's early 90's. Jack Kerouac's On the road will give you ideas... Don't limit yourself to fantasy... Read history, fiction whatever. You will get more and better ideas from that.

Aaron.

Clumsy Bob

First Post
For a good read I cannot recommend David Gemmel enough, especially the earlier series of novels featuring the Drenai and Jon Shannow. Some of his later books went through some horrid cloning system and you appeared to read the same story over and over again. But certainly his first 10 or so books are fantastic.

Bob

jester47

First Post
Tsyr said:

Strangely, as much as I love Ender's Game, I just can't seem to get into the other books in the series.

Many stories in my opinion were originally intended to be one book and should have remained one book.

Aaron.

Drakmar

Explorer
as somebody above indicated.. the Raymond E Feist series.. only about 18 or so books by him and some with a co-author (5 I believe) - many of them seem as though they were based on a gaming session. Plus.. a new revised edition of Magician (the first one) has been released.

another series I can recommend.. is The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan (an Australian Author) starting with "The Magician's Guild", followed by "The Novice" and to be released in Jan 2003 "the High Lord"

I really enjoyed the way the first two books were written. That may be because the author is Australian.. and I am too.. but I thought that they rocked.

also.. God Stalk, Dark of the Moon, and Seeker’s Mask by P.C Hodgell are really good.

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
I've gotta agree with everyone who's suggested Micheal Moorcock, Elric is the ultimate doomed hero. Corum is also really good (I enjoyed the Swords Trilogy the most).

I'm also a huge fan of Umberto Eco. The Name of the Rose and Focault's Pendulum are excellent books.

William Gibson for some excellent cyberpunk.

As mentioned before, Frank Herbert's Dune (all of them IMHO) are very good. I especially liked God Emperor of Dune, and... well actually I really liked them all.

Robert Anton Wilson's The Illuminati Trilogy (written with Robert Shea), Shcroedinger's Cat Trilogy and Masks of the Illuminati are all brillant, and death to those who say otherwise :)

It's all good!

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Grinning Loony said:
I thought Ender's Game was alright, though the ending disappointed.

i totally agree

since you mentioned Pratchett, and someone mentioned Gaiman, i really enjoyed their collaboration Good Omens . Neverwhere by Gaiman is fantastic!

i've also enjoyed most of the FR Harper's series of books, and the first few Ravenloft books, too.

Last edited:

Torque

First Post
A lot of really good suggestions already on here. Here's a couple that I read recently, and enjoyed.

Lois McMaster Bujold: The Curse of Chalion

Elizabeth Haydon: Rhapsody

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
If you like your fantasy REALLY grim and REALLY gritty, check out Cormac McCarthy sometime. Technically, he writes Westerns, but they verge into the horrifying surreal often.

Blood Meridian is perhaps his book most ripe for stealing from for fantasy games: it's set in 19th-century Mexico and follows a gang of, um, adventurers. Terrifying, horrifying, fascinating, with a landscape straight from Dante and characters so awful that it's hard to believe they're based on real-life figures.

Check it out sometime.

Daniel

Kevin Wilson

First Post
Hmm, let me throw a few in there:

Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials series (This one's hard to describe, but great fun. It starts with The Golden Compass.)

The Wild Card series, edited by George R. R. Martin (quasi-realistic superheroes, and great fun, at least early on.)

Charles de Lint - Jack of Kinrowan, Dreams Underfoot (modern fantasy extraordinaire, and one of my favorite writers.)

George R. R. Martin again, this time for Songs of Fire and Ice (aka Game of Thrones. Highly entertaining political backstabbing sort of fantasy.)

Books of Magic comics - Especially the early issues. Some interesting modern fantasy again.

CONAN - Conan is one of the three best things in life, period.

Peter Beagle - One of my favorite authors. He really gets the whole 'feeling of wonder' thing. I recommend the Last Unicorn as a good starting place.

Tim Powers - Strange Tides. Swashbuckling, voodoo, many good things.

Alan Dean Foster's Catechist series - Lots of cool fairy tale stories wrapped up in a frame story about an 'african' villager questing to fulfill a dying man's last wish. Man, this rocked.

David Weber - The Honor Harrington series. Mmm, military sci-fi with interesting tech and tactics.

That's all I can think of offhand, so I'll cut it off there.

Damn Gravity

First Post
Some authors I have not seen yet.

Fantasy

David Weber – Hrandani Series: Oath of Swords, The War God's Own
If you like sci-fi Weber has a bunch of good sci-fi series. A must read author for me.

C. J. Cherryh
Morgaine Stories: Gate of Ivrel, Well of Shiuan, Fires of Azeroth, Exile's Gate
The Paladin
Plus many other good books. A must read author for me..

Patricia A. McKillip – Riddlemaster Trilogy: The Riddle-Master of Hed, Heir of Sea and Fire, Harpist in the Wind

Michael Scott Rohan - The Winter of the World Trilogy: The Anvil of Ice, The Forge in the Forest, The Hammer of the Sun

Peter Morwood - Alban Saga Series: The Horse Lord, The Demon Lord, The Dragon Lord, The Warlord's Domain

Elizabeth Moon – The Deed of Paksenarrion Trilogy: Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, Oath of Gold

Dave Duncan – Seventh Sword Trilogy: Reluctant Swordsman, The Coming of Wisdom, The Destiny of the Sword
Plus many other good books

Barbara Hambly - Darwarth Trilogy: The Time of the Dark, The Walls of Air, The Armies of Daylight
Plus many other good books

Thomas K. Martin
Delgroth Trilogy: A Two-Edged Sword, A Matter of Honor, A Call to Arms
Magelord Trilogy: The Awakening, The Time of Madness, The House of Bairn

Sci-fantasy

Walter Jon Williams – Metropolitan Series: Metropolitan, City on Fire
And many of good sci-fi books. A must read author for me.

Melissa Scott - Silence Leigh Trilogy: Five-Twelfths of Heaven, Silence in Solitude, The Empress of Earth

Michael Swanwick - The Iron Dragon's Daughter

Sci-fi

Steve Perry – Matador Series: The Man Who Never Missed, Matadora, The Machiavelli Interface, The Omega Cage, The 97th Step, The Albino Knife, Black Steel, Brother Death.
The first three are the best.

Gordon R Dickson - Childe Cycle - Dorsai Series: Three to Dorsai!, Dorsai!, Necromancer, Soldier, Ask Not, Tactics of Mistake, The Spirit of Dorsai, Lost Dorsai, The Final Encyclopedia (Vol 1), The Chantry Guild, Young Bleys, Other, The Final Encyclopedia (Vol 2)
Many very good books. Another must read author for me.

Mike

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads