Books on Room Puzzles, Enigmas and Traps

Odhanan

Adventurer
Okay folks: I admit it, I'm lazy on this one. I know there are some good books with loads of room puzzles, enigmas the PCs would have to solve, and traps of all sorts that use your brains instead of your character's stats. I just would like to know which are the best, in your opinion. To be clear: I'd need stuff that is fun for the players to solve. I don't care for traps and enigmas with checks and DCs.

I want to have a huge amount of inspiration regarding this, and I don't want to be buying and end up disappointed. Any suggestions for me? Thanks! :D

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'd be interested in such a product, too. WotC's Book of Challenges isn't what I hoped it would be (it's a good book, but not quite the niche I wanted it to fill).

DonTadow

First Post
There are far better stuff out there than whats in the book of challenges.

Try going to Cloud Kingdom's official website. They publish exclusively d20 puzzle and riddle books.
www.cloudkingdom.com

You might also want to look at the traps and treachery series (I believe by mongoose publishing but I'm not sure).

Last but not least two of the best puzzle/trap books I've read in a long time are Grimoire's Wurst Traps and this one
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=5087&

BTW you're not lazy. Quite the contrary actually. I think its a good idea when a DM admits that sometimes borrowing is better than making it up. For my home campaigns, I've used a lot of out of the book traps and such so i can focus on plot and encounters.

Ghostwind

First Post
Traps and Treachery and its sequel is by Fantasy Flight Games, not Mongoose.

I second Cloud Kingdom Games. They make some really original stuff.

Fathead

First Post
I've flipped through some of Cloud Kingdoms stuff, and liked what I saw.

There is also a book of traps called Lethal Legacies (I think Goodman Games puts this out).

But, if you're looking for a set of traps, riddles, and puzzles all in an adventure, I would highly recommend one of Goodman Games tournament modules. The 2004 and 2005 tournament adventures are Crypt of the Devil Lich and Vault of the Dragon Kings, respectively. They were both excellent. Even if you don't use the adventure premise, a lot of the rooms can be modified...and some of the rooms come with pictures (I'm always a sucker for that)...

paradox42

First Post
DonTadow said:
Grimtooth's Wurst Traps and this one
Fixed that for you.

Don't be dissin' the troll, man! He'll toss you into a pit trap you'll never come out of. :)

...And actually I just remembered the name of the book is "The Wurst of Grimtooth's Traps."

Richards

Legend
The 2E adventure module The Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad (by Sean K. Reynolds) was a whole slew of puzzles for the players to figure out stringed all together - that might be similar to what you're looking for.

Johnathan

Remove ads