• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Books Only" Players

hutchback

Explorer
Some questions for those players out there that don't use DDI, just the published materials.

How much have you enjoyed the most recent Player's Options Books?

Do you feel compelled to buy the newest Player's Options Books regardless of what they are?

How do you handle errata?

fba827

Adventurer
How much have you enjoyed the most recent Player's Options Books? Do you feel compelled to buy the newest Player's Options Books regardless of what they are?

i don't feel compelled to buy anything that doesn't have interest for me personally. sometimes other people in the group may buy a book i don't, and i may ask to thumb through it just to look out of curiosity, but that doesn't make me want to buy it any more or less.

so for example, i bought divine power, arcane power, martial power, primal power (and i am considering buying heores of the feywild). BUT i didn't buy martial power 2, or psionic power, or heroes of shadow because those didn't really appeal to me. though other people in my group got those books and they enjoy them for the types of characters they want to make.

The general 'basic rule' errata is fairly sparse, and most of the errata is for specific powers/feats/items. So basically when i make a character, i'll then load up the errata pdf and do a quick search/scan for any of the powers/feats i was taking and usually at most 1 thing might have changed. so i only have to jot down the changes for that one/two things.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Some questions for those players out there that don't use DDI, just the published materials.

How much have you enjoyed the most recent Player's Options Books?

Not much at all, actually. Heroes of Shadow had nothing I wanted, really nothing. Heroes of the Feywild is better, but it is still to fairy and such for my tastes. It is probably a decent book, though.

Do you feel compelled to buy the newest Player's Options Books regardless of what they are?

Why would I be? I have enough books to play for a long time. I would like more class and crunch stuff to be published, but since PHBIII there has not been anything really good.

Mostly ignore it. Some of it is needed for balance, and we play that bunch, but most of it is fiddly changes made to close loopholes people at events like encounters or living whatever were abusing. Not important around our table.

Overall, we totally ignored the Player's Options revamps of the PHBI classes. I was hoping they would give those classes a bit of strengthening, but all those articles did was nerf options the designers thought were a bit too good.

I would like WOTC to go back to some of the PHBI and later classes and actually strengthen weak options, but I do not see it happening

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I pretty much buy only those books that have significant crunch for PCs, so the new stuff interests me. Still, I don't buy it all: Feywild might make the cut, whereas Neverwinter was a pass, as was Mordenkainen's.

Errata is something I look up when I'm making a PC or have a serious question about how something works.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads