• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bookstores and FLGSs in Vancouver?

I'll be in Vancouver this weekend, and I'm hoping to do some book and game shopping. However, I'm not very familiar with Vancouver, nor do I have a lot of time to tour around exploring every store. What are the best bookstores in Vancouver? I'm especially interested in old/used D&D books, as well as foreign language books and references.

What are the best stores for what I'm interested in? Thanks in advance!

When you say you're "Vancouver" what part of Vancouver will you actually be in? Richmond? Surrey? East Van? North Van? West Van? Van-Van? Downtown Van? New West?

It's a big city and driving around/taking the bus can be a bit of a hassle. My advice:

Do a google search is my best advice to find something. Unfortunately, I live way out in Abbotsford (not even part of the GVRD) and what's here isn't that great.

When you say you're "Vancouver" what part of Vancouver will you actually be in? Richmond? Surrey? East Van? North Van? West Van? Van-Van? Downtown Van? New West?

It's a big city and driving around/taking the bus can be a bit of a hassle. My advice:

Do a google search is my best advice to find something. Unfortunately, I live way out in Abbotsford (not even part of the GVRD) and what's here isn't that great.
I will be in a hotel along a road called "Kingsway", a few blocks west of another road called "Boundary". Does this help at all?

Wik

First Post
Van's gaming stores, in my experience, kind of suck. Imperial Hobbies is kinda cool for minis, but it doesn't have a particularly huge gaming stock, especially for what you're looking for.

Mind you, I don't really know Van's gaming scene too well. There is a used bookstore here in Vic that sells old-school D&D books. If you're ever in VIC, I'd be of much more help.

Wik

First Post
Yeah. Imperial is a really cool store - and I didn't mean to sound like I was bad-mouthing it (I re-read what I wrote, and there's a subtext to it). It's a great store, and definitely worth visiting. However, while it has a lot of hobby material (it has Napoleanics minis! And a whole slew of Euro Minis that are amazing!) it doesn't have much in the way of older gaming material - as in, any. I did buy a bunch of 3e Shadowrun stuff for DIRT cheap last time I was there... and they had a lot of 3.5E D&D stuff on sale (this was last year, right after 4e hit the shelves).

Mostly, I recommend the store for fringe gaming materials rather than books. If you want old books, I'd imagine used book stores are a better bet than most of the gaming stores in Van that I know of.

Cool stuff! Thanks for the info so far, guys! (Consider this a *bump*.)

Mostly, I recommend the store for fringe gaming materials rather than books. If you want old books, I'd imagine used book stores are a better bet than most of the gaming stores in Van that I know of.
In that case, have you got any suggestions? Where are the biggest used book stores?

Wik

First Post
No, I'm afraid I don't. I don't go to Van for Gaming Stuff - the one time I did, I found it wasn't worth my trip... in that Victoria had the same stuff, for the same prices, so why bother? So, when I go to Van, it's for one of a few reasons: 1) To Walk down Robson Street and be a total tourist yokel. 2) To go on some drinking bender with some friends (woot!). or 3) to catch a concert.

If you're ever in Vic, though, check out Snowden's books. They have a lot of oldschool books... I picked up TSR's The Glory of Rome the last time I was there... and every now and then there's a DARK SUN book on the shelves, waiting for me.

Remove ads