• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boomerang

King Nate

First Post
So here is yet another (and hopfully last) update to the boomerang;

Military One-Handed Ranged Weapon

Boomerang
Prof.: +2
Damage: 1d3
Range: 15/30
Price: 1gp
Weight: 1/2lb.
Group: Light Blade
Properties: Light Thrown, Returning

Returning: On a missed attack roll, a proficient user can make the thrown weapon return to the original square it was thrown from, at the end of their turn. If the user has a hand free, they may catch the weapon as a free action.

As a couple of other options you could have:

Rogues and Wizards from a certain region of the world replace Shuriken and quarterstaff with boomerang and even replace that rouges weapon talent ability of increasing the damage die with a Shuriken with increasing the damage die with a boomerang.

Or just add Boomerang to the Rouges and Wizards starting weapon proficiencies, I highly doubt that it would break the game.

Last edited:

The property is good (though once the boomerang becomes magic, it's irrelevant), but I think the statistics are a little to weak for a military weapon. Proficiency Bonus +2 and 1d6 damage would be the minimum, I think. (It might even need to be +3)

Boomerangs should be pretty precise weapons, if you're trained with them. That's kinda their point, as they are used to hunt small animals (birds?). You don't need to hit hard, but you need to hit.

Khaalis

Adventurer
I would stick with only allow the boomerang to return on a miss. I would also make a few other changes.

* Superior weapon: A boomerang actually takes a lot of practice to learn to use as a weapon, not to mention is a highly unique and limited use weapon.
* Range: 20/40 is too much. A boomerang does not have the same range as a longbow.
* Price / Weight: 10g is awfully steep for a cared piece of wood. Also a most boomerangs weight less than 1/2 a pound.

This is how I would do it.

Boomerang +2 Prof / 1d4 Damage / 10/20 Range / 1gp / 1/2 lb. / Group: Light Blade / Properties: Light Thrown, Returning

Returning: On a missed attack roll, a proficient user can make the boomerang return to the original square it was thrown from, at the end of their turn. If the user has a hand free, they may catch the boomerang as a free action.

King Nate

First Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

I got the idea from flipping through the 3ed sandstorm book that had boomerang in it as a weapon. The price listed there was 10gp which is why I went with 10gp.

I couldn't decide on Military or Superior, superior is probably better. I also like the Returning property Khaalis. Thanks

The property is good (though once the boomerang becomes magic, it's irrelevant)
Not completly, a magical boomerang will return even if it hits.

After doing more research on boomerangs (other than the sandstorm book) I found on wiki that a boomerang weighs at the most a quarter-pound and their distance is on average between 25 and 40 yards which equals 3-5 squares in D&D. I would probably change the range to 3/6 or 4/8. What do you think?

I'm also trying to make sure this doesn't make Shurikens obsolete.

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
King Nate said:
I got the idea from flipping through the 3ed sandstorm book that had boomerang in it as a weapon. The price listed there was 10gp which is why I went with 10gp.
Yeah, prices in D&D have always been wonky. However, 1g is more in line with the 4E pricing scheme.

I couldn't decide on Military or Superior, superior is probably better. I also like the Returning property Khaalis. Thanks
NP. I like the weapon idea. Its not common but not a bad idea. I was basically looking at making Chakram / Chakkar (aka Punjabi) and this is basically the same idea.

After doing more research on boomerangs (other than the sandstorm book) I found on wiki that a boomerang weighs at the most a quarter-pound and their distance is on average between 25 and 40 yards which equals 3-5 squares in D&D. I would probably change the range to 3/6 or 4/8. What do you think?
Good call. I'd go with 3/6 to be more accurate (as well as make them purchasable as a lot of 4). However, it has to remain a viable ranged weapon. Right now compared to Shuriken, its a waste of a feat as shuriken have a +1 higher proficiency bonus and double the range. To offset this, I might think to increase the damage to 1d6 from 1d4.

In the end you would have:

5 Shuriken = 1g / +3 Prof / 1d4 Dam / 0.5 lb.
4 Boomerang = 1g / +2 Prof / 1d6 Dam / 0.5 lb. / Returns on a miss

Does that work?

Y5 Shuriken = 1g / +3 Prof / 1d4 Dam / 0.5 lb.
4 Boomerang = 1g / +2 Prof / 1d6 Dam / 0.5 lb. / Returns on a miss

Does that work?

I think it does. Exchanging a +1 proficiency for d+2 is common. The extra ability is an extra not really relevant at higher levels, so it probably shouldn't affect the "price" in feats (and if, the 4 Boomerangs for 1 gp is enough compensation)

King Nate

First Post
their distance is on average between 25 and 40 yards which equals 3-5 squares in D&D

OPPS, I made a mistake with my math.

25 yards is equal to 75 feet which equals 15 squares
40 yards is equal to 120 feet which equals 24 squares

15/30 looks to be the correct distance.

Now that I corrected the distance I don't know about the 4 for 1gp.

How about this update?

Superior One-Handed Ranged Weapon

Boomerang
Damage: 1d6

Returning: On a missed attack roll, a proficient user can make the thrown weapon return to the original square it was thrown from, at the end of their turn. If the user has a hand free, they may catch the weapon as a free action.

King Nate

First Post

Boomerang
Damage: 1d6

After a few hours of thinking about this I think the Boomerang is too powerful like this so I want to drop the damage to 1d3. This will make the nonmagical boomerang do less damage than a shuriken and throwing axe, and a lower prof. bonus than a shuriken but have the advantage of range and returning. A magical boomerang compared to a shuriken and throwing axe will only have the advantage of range which think is a fair trade off. What do you think?

Here's the update:

Boomerang
Damage: 1d3

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads