D&D 5E Booming Blade vs Extra Attack for rogue

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
I plan on multiclassing a rogue and want to know which is better combat wise for rogue. Booming Blade or Extra Attack. Let’s say the choices are 4 levels of ranger to get booming blade through Magic Initiate or 3 levels and get a level of Arcana Cleric for BB and GFB for wisdom stat, or 5 levels of ranger for extra attack. If you want to know the fighting style, it’s going to be Druidic Warrior (UA) so I can grab Shillelagh and Magic Stone. DM allows me to SA with a quarterstaff. The secondary effects of BB and GFB seem to allows flexibility in the situation, while Extra Attack allows me to have a higher chance of landing SA. Your thoughts?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
FYI. Arcane trickster rogue gets BB for free at 3rd or High elf/Half-elf as a racial feature at 1st. Neither require MC.

Eventually your damage from a single attack with the cantrip + sneak attack is going to exceed your damage with 2 quarterstaff attacks + sneak attack by a small amount. That single attack includes extra features, such as a different damage type and potentially secondary damage. But making a second attack makes it more likely you will get that sneak attack. It doesn't look like one in particular stands out as undeniably better than the other.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Probably the choice that costs the least amount of non-rogue levels. One extra attack is worth about 2d8 from Booming Blade, so it's roughly equivalent in terms of pure damage at Tier 2 and falls somewhat behind at Tier 3. Extra Attack gets more valuable as SA dice increase because it increases the chances of landing. There's break points on both sides, and they're within a few points of damage of each other. So really, I'd just favor the dip that lets you get back to getting rogue levels and SA dice the quickest.

Zsig

Explorer
Probably the choice that costs the least amount of non-rogue levels. One extra attack is worth about 2d8 from Booming Blade, so it's roughly equivalent in terms of pure damage at Tier 2 and falls somewhat behind at Tier 3. Extra Attack gets more valuable as SA dice increase because it increases the chances of landing. There's break points on both sides, and they're within a few points of damage of each other. So really, I'd just favor the dip that lets you get back to getting rogue levels and SA dice the quickest.

With that said then, wouldn't it be better for him to just get the feat (Magic Initiate) for Booming Blade and skip multiclassing entirely?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
With that said then, wouldn't it be better for him to just get the feat (Magic Initiate) for Booming Blade and skip multiclassing entirely?
Well, from the OP I'm guessing the concept is a Wis-based rogue, using Ranger 2 to get Shillelagh and Magic Stone. Tough to do that without some multiclassing. I might argue for Druid1/Arcana Cleric1/Rogue X in that case if the DM doesn't enforce the druid armor thing.

Assuming Ranger 2 is fixed, tough choice. Going 4-5 for the feat, Extra Attack, and 2nd level ranger spells is pretty good.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I plan on multiclassing a rogue and want to know which is better combat wise for rogue. Booming Blade or Extra Attack. Let’s say the choices are 4 levels of ranger to get booming blade through Magic Initiate or 3 levels and get a level of Arcana Cleric for BB and GFB for wisdom stat, or 5 levels of ranger for extra attack. If you want to know the fighting style, it’s going to be Druidic Warrior (UA) so I can grab Shillelagh and Magic Stone. DM allows me to SA with a quarterstaff. The secondary effects of BB and GFB seem to allows flexibility in the situation, while Extra Attack allows me to have a higher chance of landing SA. Your thoughts?

Pact of tome warlock would get you booming blade and shillelagh. I believe it also works odd charisma at that point? Be a hexblade to get a shield and medium armor. Pump charisma?

also would gain you short rest invisibility and misty step. Both amazing abilities for a rogue.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Well, from the OP I'm guessing the concept is a Wis-based rogue, using Ranger 2 to get Shillelagh and Magic Stone. Tough to do that without some multiclassing. I might argue for Druid1/Arcana Cleric1/Rogue X in that case if the DM doesn't enforce the druid armor thing.

Assuming Ranger 2 is fixed, tough choice. Going 4-5 for the feat, Extra Attack, and 2nd level ranger spells is pretty good.
A rogue with Pass Without Trace is really fun.

Remove ads